Lopi Leyden R factor for hearth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephany

Jun 12, 2007
Hi All,

Do you know what the R-factor for the hearth is for a Lopi Leyden wood stove? Unfortunately, it is not specified in the owner's manual for this stove - only a minimum thickness is stated for the hearth.

We are building our own hearth this weekend and we would rather not have to wait until next week when Lopi is open to get answers, so I am hoping someone here will know.

Thanks very much for your help!

Stephany

Hi Steph,

According to the manual, the Leyden only needs a non-combustible hearth. It should extend a minimum of 6" from each side and at least 16" in front. A sheet of 26 ga metal is the minimum requirement, but if you want to use tile, brick or stone, you should be fine.

Hope you'll take some pictures and post them when the job is done.

If they don't specify certain aspects of the hearth requirements I would default to the national or local codes for those unexplained aspects. Unfortunately I do not know them off the top of my head and my code book is on my laptop at work. All the units we install are very specific in their requirements so we don't have to look in the code book often.

The manual specifies a particular thickness and not a particular R-value. In that case I would be certain that the hearth material is non-combustible, no open gaps, and of at least the required thickness.

Thanks all for the info. Now I have one more question - I will post it in a separate thread since it is a different subject.

I really like this forum - you are all so very helpful! Even better than RV.net!

Thanks -

Stephany

If your building a custom hearth I have a suggestion....build it to the maximum r-value you can so as to meet the code for several other stoves in the event the Leyden does not meet your needs or you decide to switch out some time you'll hopefully have the hearth you need.

Ooooh, now no jabs at RV.net, that site is so huge that when you aska question you may have a hard time finding your thread since so many new threads have been posted on top of yours and then when you do check it may have pages of answers.

I like Anse's suggestion of building the hearth to be suitable for many stoves not just in R-value but also in dimensions. If you build the pad to a particular size which is exactly the right dimensions for your stove placement and then run into a goofy inspector that wants you to move your stove one inch farther away from the wall it would be nice if you didn't have to rebuild your whole pad one inch bigger. I also think that a hearth pad that meets only the minimum spec leads to a stove installation that looks kind of ghetto or stuck in there really quick. A nice hearth built to fit the room or the wall it is on with room for wood storage can be more attractive IMO. You'll be looking at this stove a lot.

Sorry Highbeam - Didn't mean that to be a jab at RV.net. I lOVE RV.net and have always been amazed at the responses that I have gotten there. But you guys on Hearth.com are even faster and more helpful!!

Stephany

ansehnlich1 said:
es in the event the Leyden does not meet your needs

Uh, that is an unproven theory sort of like random mutation/natural selection evolution. I don't think the Leyden has ever actually failed to meet an owner's needs.

OF COURSE I WAS JUST KIDDING but I do love the Leyden. I burn one here in the store and I really, really love its performance and loooooooooong burn times. It is a sweet stove. With those long legs, I can see why it does not have a big hearth formula.

But seriously, I have had 0% dissatisfied owners of Leyden wood stoves and I have sold quite a few. I did have many call backs to tell me how thrilled they were with their new stove. I had about 4 calls to deal with bypass gaskets which lost adhesion. and 2 calls about the bypass not locking anymore. Those calls could have been avoided by reading the manual about adjusting the lock on the bypass. It is a well thought out stove. When you look the Leyden over you know it was designed by someone who heats with wood day in and day out.

Jack

Steph:

If my home were smaller, say around 2000sf, I would buy the Leyden. It seems to be a monster stove that is very well built. I was quotted a price of $2k for the black one and $2,200 for the mahogony brown. Both top-top notch stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.