Lopi Spirit DV pilot light goes out when main burner shuts off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

YellowstoneYeti

Oct 10, 2021
Montana
I've got a Lopi Spirit DV gas stove running on natural gas that was manufactured in 1999. I don't know any of the history of the stove, but physically it looks brand new and I don't think it has had much burn time. It has been a few years since it has been used. The stove seems to have a good pilot flame and fires the main burner as normal when the thermostat calls for heat. The problem occurs when the thermostat reaches temp and extinguishes the main burner flame. When the main burner goes out, the pilot also goes out and the stove will obviously not restart. If the pilot is relit, it will burn as normal until it goes through another main burner cycle. It doesn't seem to matter how the pilot flame or burner flame is adjusted. It also doesn't seem to matter if the blower fan is running or not. Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? I'm thinking possibly thermocouple or thermopile, but I don't know what the correct voltage readings should be if they're working properly.

Do you have a multimeter that can be set to volts DC? That’s what is needed to read both the thermopile (TP) & the thermocouple (TC). The TP can be read by touching the probes to the TH-TP & the TP terminals on the valve. You should be getting about 550 +/- 25 millivolts with only the pilot burning. The TC needs to be disconnected from the valve. The probes need to be touching the extreme end of the “button” that goes in the valve. The other probe touches the copper sheathing on the TC. You will need some alligator clips to do this by yourself, as the loot knob will need to be held in so the flame remains lit. You want about 28-31 mV from the TC.