Losing Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt85bears

Dec 15, 2008
midwest
I am a first season burner with my Afton Bay.
I am noticing that i am losing heat. I think i am cleaning the stove properly, the only difficulty i really have is cleaning in the small vents behind the burn pot. I stick a clothes hanger and try to find the proper holes but i dont really know what i am looking for and i am dealing with a dealer who doesnt seem to care now that i paid for the stove. ANY HELP

matt85bears said:
I am a first season burner with my Afton Bay.
I am noticing that i am losing heat. I think i am cleaning the stove properly, the only difficulty i really have is cleaning in the small vents behind the burn pot. I stick a clothes hanger and try to find the proper holes but i dont really know what i am looking for and i am dealing with a dealer who doesnt seem to care now that i paid for the stove. ANY HELP

After being on this forum for about a month now it seems that I read way to much about owners having problems with dealers once they bought the stove. one would think that a little better service might draw more customer's. I also think that most of these stores are a one or two man operation that cannot handle the high demand. Lets see how they all fair once things get a little more normal and stable. I know I have recommend to my friends not to go to a few dealers that I have spoken to due to the lack of respect I am feeling.

I am not sure about the configuration of your stove but I clean out my liner with a shop vac and it works great. Just make sure the ashes are cool of course.

make sure to clean out the 2 spots under the side grates, if you remove the side grates and look just above the ash pan you will see 2 metal doors, 1 on each side. Stick coat hanger in there and clean well. I don't know about holes behind burn pot, make sure you take out burn pot, both pieces and clear all holes and vacuum out area underneath. This is where I get the most ash from. Weirdest thing with my Afton is that the ash drawer never really has any ash in it. Also make sure to burn on med to high for at least 30 minutes per day to keep heat exchange tubes clean. Good luck.

Ballpeen hammer, tap the back firewall firmly several times.
See the ash fall, vac it up. Done.

If your stove still has the brick like liner instead the new steel one use a rubber mallet instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.