lost scrounges

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trguitar

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2011
Harvard, MA
I love reading stories about others' scrounges. How about some stories about lost scrounges?

Here's one of mine from a few weeks ago.

Every day on my way to work I drive by some woods with several downed black locusts. After hearing all the stories on here of how well it burns, I went online and figured out who owned the property. Turned out it was owned by a real estate company from whom I used to rent about 10 years ago. So, I contacted them about seeing if I could come over and cut up that wood. It looked unsightly laying there, and was on one of their nice rental properties. I figured I was doing them and me a great favor.

So, they respond saying "Sorry, but insurance forbids us from letting you do it." I responded that I was happy to sign a waiver. Never heard back.

Then a few days later, I'm driving to work and I see a bunch of guys cutting up the wood!!! I never even got a sniff...

Still searching for my first locust score.

I've got a spot where I can get BL, until they sell the property, but I'm still waiting to try some Hedge. I saw four decent-sized that came down in a storm. Contacted the owner but he was concerned about insurance and was leaning toward having some pros clean it up. I said I would take some wood, but never heard from him. There's a little bit that was on his neighbor's and I'm supposed to get that if the guy's kids don't take it. Still waiting to hear from him...

Another guy about two miles from here had eight or ten big trees that were on a slope, that blew over in a storm. I talked to him and left my number. I told him I didn't want the Sweetgum. As I was leaving he made some kind of weird noise. Oooookay! Wrote that one off, and later saw some guys grappling the logs onto a truck. I wish he would call me to clean up what's left...most of the trees were Pignut and Oak. Not holding my breath, though...

Seems like you have to work a bit to get access to some of this wood but once you get a few lined up, maybe they'll call you back with more stuff later. I try to clean up a bit whenever someone gives me some firewood to cut...

The lost score I regret was a mile long road widening five miles away. Hickory and oak, dozens of cords worth. Had to work out of state the week it was cleared and it was all taken by the time I got back. There are a lot of wood burners around here.

Few weeks ago, hydro cut some maples in front of a field not far from home. Wood was outside the fence, lying right beside the road. Noticed on Wed, figured I'd go get it on the weekend. Fri night was still there, aha west! Early Sat am, all gone. :( Next time, I'll book the day off work.

But, now that spring is here, I've had at least 3 calls for lot clearing. One nearby and two within an hour. Win some, lose some.

I hauled home 5 cord of Oak in a week last August. Would have been 20 if I hadn't been stuck at work :(

Attachments

• 081611 red oak2.jpg
    081611 red oak2.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 316
  • 081611 red oak3.jpg
    081611 red oak3.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 310
This was my favorite one less than a half mile and this is my first cut!

Attachments

• 10517_103445316332150_100000000464379_94970_6245138_n.jpg
    10517_103445316332150_100000000464379_94970_6245138_n.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 322
Somethin tells me you didn't lose that one Jay. No one else had a saw big enough to make off with it :)

SolarAndWood said:
Somethin tells me you didn't lose that one Jay. No one else had a saw big enough to make off with it :)
;-) Half of this one is still there if anyone wants it! :cheese:

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 291
I've had countless amount of lost scrounges.....simply because I don't have the time.....I don't even want to think about it....but I'm getting enough to squeak by

I let scrounges go all the time. I'm always keeping my eyes open but I usually end up taking the easiest or closest ones. Right now I'm contemplating going and talking with a neighbor about 10 doors down from me. She had a few Ash dropped in her back yard. Pretty good sized ones too. They've been laying there all winter now. Every once in a while I see her husband out there working on them. Looks like, from the street, all that's left is the trunks. That's just what I like. Problem is I have all I can handle. This winter was so warm I barely used half of what I normally do. I don't think I wore a coat more than 12 times this entire winter. When is the last time anyone can remember a winter like this?

Beer Belly said:
I've had countless amount of lost scrounges.....simply because I don't have the time.....I don't even want to think about it....but I'm getting enough to squeak by
i've had to let a couple go too since i only had a few hours a week to devote to scrounging recently. now i think/hope i have two full days off a week to gather plus a partner in crime with my neighbor who has a proper truck.

smokinjay said:
Half of this one is still there if anyone wants it! :cheese:
I'll be right over...with a stick of dynamite. :lol:

Had permission to take a 12 inch Hickory 1 mile from the house. I was waiting for the right time to get it as it was near a road/drive. Had to be conspicuous about the removal too. Well I waited to long and shes gone. If it were not a Hickory I would not even have remembered it.

Status
Not open for further replies.