Lost with my Earth Stove insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JK117

Dec 18, 2018
Virginia
Hello all

This is my first thread. I'm lost on what to do to heat my house. I recently bought a earth stove insert from a co-worker and thought that was going to solve all my heating issues this winter (HA). After installation of the insert, I found that it would hardly heat my 500 SQ FT finished basement room. I did some research and found that I would need to install a chimney liner. I just recently did that and still nothing. I'm not sure on what I need to do to get heat upstairs. I would love any advice if anyone is willing to give it.

More background info below:

2000 SQ FT split level home.
500 SQ FT finished basement with a door - Insert is in this room
500 SQ T unfinished basement room with door that stays closed
Earth Stove insert with blower
Burning Oak wood.
Chimney liner installed

Hello all

This is my first thread. I'm lost on what to do to heat my house. I recently bought a earth stove insert from a co-worker and thought that was going to solve all my heating issues this winter (HA). After installation of the insert, I found that it would hardly heat my 500 SQ FT finished basement room. I did some research and found that I would need to install a chimney liner. I just recently did that and still nothing. I'm not sure on what I need to do to get heat upstairs. I would love any advice if anyone is willing to give it.

More background info below:

2000 SQ FT split level home.
500 SQ FT finished basement with a door - Insert is in this room
500 SQ T unfinished basement room with door that stays closed
Earth Stove insert with blower
Burning Oak wood.
Chimney liner installed
Do you have an insulated plate sealing off the space around the new liner to prevent heated air from going up the chimney?

Do you have insulation behind the insert?

Is the liner insulated?

What moisture content is your wood?

How are you running the insert?

Do you have an insulated plate sealing off the space around the new liner to prevent heated air from going up the chimney?

Do you have insulation behind the insert?

Is the liner insulated?

What moisture content is your wood?

How are you running the insert?

1) I do not have insulation behind the insert. I honest did not know I needed to do that.

2) The liner is insulated.

3) The wood has been dried for a year.

4) I'm not sure what you mean how i'm running the insert? I have sometimes have it going full blast and other times I have it on low where it's burning slowly.

What sort of plate would i put in above the insert? Would it be something sheet metal?

Split levels aren't easy to heat with a stove or really anything. They are notorious for being uneven temp wise. Sometimes I wish I had two stoves in my split level, but then it would be too much. So I live with the stove heating the downstairs comfortably and the gas furnace kicking on here and there for the upstairs. The stove definitely takes a huge load off the furnace though.

Regarding your 1 year old oak, I'm willing to bet it's pretty underseasoned and certainly not helping your issues at all.

1) I do not have insulation behind the insert. I honest did not know I needed to do that.

2) The liner is insulated.

3) The wood has been dried for a year.

4) I'm not sure what you mean how i'm running the insert? I have sometimes have it going full blast and other times I have it on low where it's burning slowly.

What sort of plate would i put in above the insert? Would it be something sheet metal?
1. You don't need insulation behind the insert but it will help keep the heat in the house if the fireplace is on an exterior wall.

2. Good that won't help with heatoutput but it is much safer and will make it perform better.

3. That may be dry enough but probably not.

4. I mean what do you do. You should be loading it and then running it wide open untill the wood is fully involved then shut it back pretty hard.

5. Yes sheet metal with a fireproof insulation on top.

Oak is not dry after a year unless it had exceptional circumstances (solar kiln, under a roof in the desert, etc). Topcovered, it is usually suboptimal after 2 years and dry after 3.

Wet wood and no blockoff plate are my two guesses. You can fix the blockoff plate in an afternoon, but not the wood.

Get some pine or fir in now and it will be primo by next fall.

Is the chimney sealed off with a flashing at the top where the liner exits it?

Oak is not dry after a year unless it had exceptional circumstances (solar kiln, under a roof in the desert, etc). Topcovered, it is usually suboptimal after 2 years and dry after 3.

Wet wood and no blockoff plate are my two guesses. You can fix the blockoff plate in an afternoon, but not the wood.

Get some pine or fir in now and it will be primo by next fall.

Is the chimney sealed off with a flashing at the top where the liner exits it?

The liner is sealed off. I just went to Lowe's and bought some of their firewood just to see. I did see a slight difference in the room itself.

The liner is sealed off. I just went to Lowe's and bought some of their firewood just to see. I did see a slight difference in the room itself.
That wood may not be dry either. It is only run through a kiln long enough to kill bugs. You need to get s moisture meter

The Earth Stove calls for an 8" liner no?
How tall is the liner?
Basement installs can be tough for some.

Attachments

• 20181113_124308.jpg
    20181113_124308.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 251
Someone else notching out the appliance adapter for the damper rod.

That is a Bayview B400C. Very cool stove, one of the first hybrid catalytic stoves that is all the rage now.

You will need to pull the cat and probably get a new one, or at least I would recommend that, you can vinegar wash them.

http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/83614/earthstone-earth-stove-bv400c-2.html?page=17

I would also recommend insulating that fireplace as that will eat quite a bit of the heat, see below for how to.

If you pull the cat you will want to have a new cat gasket on hand to put it back with.

Reactions: begreen