Lots of water in the cellar coming from the flue cleanouts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sykesman

Dec 13, 2010
Cape Cod
Thank you in advance for your advice!

I have a 20 yo Dutchwest 2462(xl), catalytic, with an 8'clay-lined brick chimney. The chimney is 3 stories, cellar thru the 2nd floor and out. The stove is on the middle floor.

Since I bought this house, a problem has developed that is pretty unpleasant. Water runs down the chimney flues and flows out of the cleanouts, it is nasty stuff, and up to a couple gallons per day. I have ruled out a leak in the chimney and foundation, the water only comes when I am heating with the stove.

I'm coming to the conclusion that this water comes from condensation, which leads me to suspect that the stove is not functioning properly. This was not a pre-existing problem, but has been getting worse over 3 years.

I recently changed the catalytic converter and thermometer, the temps top out at 900 F, but commonly run at 500-600. The rest of the stove seems tight enough.

I'm burning 4-6 month old oak, which is probably pretty moist, but it burns very well, no problem getting it started.

Any ideas? Thank you very much

4-6 month old oak. That's your problem. It hasn't even thought about drying yet. Oak should be split, stacked and allowed tor dry like that for longer than other woods in your area. I get good results after about 2 summers of drying, and poor results normally from only a full year of drying unless it's split down like toothpicks and stacked loose.

Combination of a cold chimney (outside block I guess) and unseasoned wood. From your post I am not sure about the chimney being outside.

Thanks men!

Green wood, outside chimney, fits all the symptoms.

Since this is my wood for the winter, guess I'll have to collect the water. Might help to sleeve the chimney, what do you think?

It's a Dutchwest 2462, catalytic.

Appreciate your feedback!

Lining the chimney with a 6 in liner and insulating it can only help. (assuming that stove is rated for 6in)

The 4month old oak... heck you are lucky it even ignites. Probably 30-40% water. Can you get any old pallets or scrap (non-treated) lumber to mix in and increase the burn temps?

The "500-600 but tops out at 900" temperatures you posted. Are those stove top temperatures, flue temperature or do you have a catalyst probe?

If the humidity is high in the house, the air drawn into the stove will contribute to the condensation. Using dry outside air piped directly to the stove would reduce the amount of condensation.

We had it bad last year. We lined the chimney this year and insulated, problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.