love it !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah - I've got 2.5 cords in the basement and now I'm wondering if some of it will be staying until the following winter...

Well, this was Thanksgiving Day last year:

IMG_20141127_085840.jpg

It melted, and then we got one snow in December. December was quite a bit colder last year, but I agree, the party really started in late January.

I think so far we've had one blast in late Oct or early Nov (?) where the weather got into the 20's. Since then nuttin'. But yeah last year I recall saying no matter what happens this year we got off easy. Taught me to shut my big mouth!

This year does seem to have a much different weather pattern though w/ El Nino and all.

We still have a good three to five months where winter could show up. But here in northeast Ohio there showing the next two to three months with above normal temps with little snow. Just have to take it one day at a time. The only good thing about this weather is everyone gets that much farther ahead on their wood collecting. I have also noticed that the years when winter is not bad the following year is much easier to get even more wood. Plus I'm sure like myself many of you have still been messing around with cutting or splitting or stacking. With temps like these its hard to not want to be outside doing something.

We still have a good three to five months where winter could show up.

3 maybe. You may get an occasional snow storm in March, very rarely April, but temperatures will be mild in those months. Hopefully January and February isn't as brutal as it was last year. Those 2 months accounted for most of my wood usage.

Shhhh... I don't need ya'all jinxing what I got going on over here. Move along. Nothing to see here.....

Shhhh... I don't need ya'all jinxing what I got going on over here. Move along. Nothing to see here.....
I'm trying to tell these guys! This is from a weather related site re-capping last years brutal winter in the NY area;

What winter? That’s how December, 2014 felt for most of the Northeast. While it wasn’t historically warm, the +3.0 departure is still significant, and the month was persistently mild with no Arctic intrusions. In fact, November, 2014 had a colder minimum temperature than December, 2014. On December 1st, NYC had a high of 65 degrees, on Christmas Eve, we had a high of 58 degrees, and on Christmas Day, we had a high of 62 degrees. The only day we saw snow on was December 10th, as a large nor’easter, which originally gave the area almost 3″ of rain, stalled off the coast and became an upper-level cutoff low, rotating and bringing the area snow showers. NYC recorded an inch of snow from this event — it’s grand total for the month.

Sound familiar? PS we had almost 20" of snow in March and it was cold right thru April and into may.

I'm trying to tell these guys!
Raining like a monster right now and I am happy with that. It could be albino rain. I will take the liquid form.

Yeah thank God yesterday's precipitation here in MA was rain, would have been a lot of snow here...

This was my first big year getting wood, and I began with 7 16ft rows/5 ft high of/16 inchers, and have just now gone through row one so far. It was a lot of the punky wood I had.

If I can use only two more, even three rows, I will be all set for next year too, as my wood supply is better. Already looking around for wood as we speak to try and get on the 17-18 season...

I'm enjoying the time outside. Without the low temps, i'm burning less wood, getting ahead, and spending more time landscaping and dropping trees...which gets me even farther ahead on wood. Good stuff.

Reactions: Gboutdoors
I'm trying to tell these guys! This is from a weather related site re-capping last years brutal winter in the NY area;

What winter? That’s how December, 2014 felt for most of the Northeast. While it wasn’t historically warm, the +3.0 departure is still significant, and the month was persistently mild with no Arctic intrusions. In fact, November, 2014 had a colder minimum temperature than December, 2014. On December 1st, NYC had a high of 65 degrees, on Christmas Eve, we had a high of 58 degrees, and on Christmas Day, we had a high of 62 degrees. The only day we saw snow on was December 10th, as a large nor’easter, which originally gave the area almost 3″ of rain, stalled off the coast and became an upper-level cutoff low, rotating and bringing the area snow showers. NYC recorded an inch of snow from this event — it’s grand total for the month.

Sound familiar? PS we had almost 20" of snow in March and it was cold right thru April and into may.

It was a bit different for us up here in Maine . . . we had several snow storms before January 1st, 2015 . . . albeit some of it melted off . . . but not all of it. There were still several inches on the ground as we headed into the new year.

My sled is back from the shop (well vocational school) . . . bring on the cold and the snow (just don't tell my wife I'm rooting for snow as she is loving this weather.)

It was a bit different for us up here in Maine . . . we had several snow storms before January 1st, 2015 . . . albeit some of it melted off . . . but not all of it. There were still several inches on the ground as we headed into the new year.
That was for the NY Metro area so downstate NY, parts of NJ, CT and PA. Cold weather really didn't kick in here until January. Just finding it funny that everyone around here is going on about how crazy that it's gonna be in the sixties on XMas day, yeah kinda like last year.

That was for the NY Metro area so downstate NY, parts of NJ, CT and PA. Cold weather really didn't kick in here until January. Just finding it funny that everyone around here is going on about how crazy that it's gonna be in the sixties on XMas day, yeah kinda like last year.

Sure, it happened last year, but it's certainly not normal for it to be this warm so late in December. Especially 70 degrees on Christmas Eve.

Sure, it happened last year, but it's certainly not normal for it to be this warm so late in December. Especially 70 degrees on Christmas Eve.

Point was there's still plenty of time for a rough winter, just like last year. Though the experts say it's going to be a pretty mild one.

I see 8-12" of sky sugar forecast for Tuesday...

I got nuthin. -16dF here, looking for a high of -4dF later today. Considering the forecast earlier in the week was for -40 as a high tomorrow I'm just going to roll with it.

Exactly. Funny how some folks memories recall otherwise.

The best weather wienie in these parts said back at the first of November that it was going to stay warm through the end of the year and then around mid-January through February we were going to get our asses kicked. Well, he is right so far so...

The best weather wienie in these parts said back at the first of November that it was going to stay warm through the end of the year and then around mid-January through February we were going to get our asses kicked. Well, he is right so far so...

I have a friend that works for the NOAA and he has more or less said the same thing about the weather pattern for this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.