LOve my stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stallau

May 17, 2009
Southern ME
My oil company just stopped by today on the auto fill schedule and gave me a whopping 38 gallons since April. They then called and and said they are going to change me to fill once a year. I added an on demand water heater a few years ago instead of heating it from the furnace and now my stove leaves the furnace hanging out and not doing too much.

SWEET!! I just got my stove earlier this month. I can count on one hand the number of times my forced air furnace has kicked on. Mainly because i dont have all my ducting finalized. Even during the blizzard with temps in the teens and wind chills down to 0 deg i only hit the furnace twice to take the edge off.
I need to call my oil company and get off of auto delivery. That will be a sweet phone call.

Thats great. I love reading posts like these. I saw my util bill day and compared it to years past and it is about 70% less now than then. Thats great considering that it has been below freezing temps in the hudson valley NY for most of the month of December.

Still haven't used a gallon of propane yet this year! But its there if i need to use it. Gas supplier called last week wondering if i changed companies (I own my tank). Told them no,burning pellets and i would call them when i need a delivery! She didn't sound too happy. Oh Well !

As cold as it has been this month, my propane bill was $8.49. Far cry from what is was 2 yrs ago!!

Love this little stove!!

I have natural gas but my old furnace and this drafty old house were killing me. So i put in my stove and a foot of insulation in the attic man what a difference my gas bill this month was 48.00 and 25.00 of that was the recovery charge? compared to 250.00 for the same time last year and the house is alot warmer i already got a letter from the gas company wanting to check my meter because my usage doesn't match previous use.

dragracer300, don't ya just love it when they think there is something wrong!! LOL!

Sure do i'm a tinkerer i'm always building things. I build race engines for a living and i've found the more things i can do myself the more money goes in my pocket. I also built my own wind turbine and solar water heating system to heat dhw and my cleaning tanks at my shop. I also run my diesel truck on waste oil mix as well. The less i'm on the grid relying on the system the better off i am.

Wow, that is awesome!!

Stay warm and have a Very Happy New Year.

i love my stove too!

i truly feel affection for it when i walk into the living room and see it doing it's thing.

lol. we named her helga.
right now we're at about a bag a day. 25 degrees or so at night.
we get a lot of passive solar heating from great southern exposure and a glass windowed enclosed front porch.
i figure even when it's really cold in the daytime later this winter, we will just run the stove with the south drapes open.
anything under two bags a day will be terrific. i think we can manage maybe a bag and a half average. looking forward to finding out for sure.

dragracer300 said:
Sure do i'm a tinkerer i'm always building things. I build race engines for a living and i've found the more things i can do myself the more money goes in my pocket. I also built my own wind turbine and solar water heating system to heat dhw and my cleaning tanks at my shop. I also run my diesel truck on waste oil mix as well. The less i'm on the grid relying on the system the better off i am.

i remembered seeing this as i read your post-

passive solar lighting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zMAWztZ6TI

love the line "automatically turns itself off..."

Status
Not open for further replies.