Q&A Low humidity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hello, We are heating with an Osburn 1600 fireplace insert and an Ashley freestanding woodstove. We live in a log home in southern New Hampshire. We moved into this house in December and had the insert installed in January. The indoor humidity is at 20 - 25% measured with a cheap humidistat. How do I add moisture back into the air? We have open pots of water on each woodstove. We had a large kettle on one but it did not seem empty often so we use open pots instead. We purchased a humidifier but concerns with molds and maintenance(disinfect w/ bleach weekly) led to it being returned unused. We have a room size warm mist humidifier but today is the first day of use and I don't think it is large enough. The house is heated with baseboard hot water so options are limited there. The furnace is in a separate garage. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I love your site. We are new to woodstoves and wood heat so I have used your site as a resource. Osburn does not advertise on your site but I felt confident in purchasing the insert due to the info I got from Hearthnet.

Answer:

It will be difficult to get the amount of humidity that you need without a separate humidifier. My own house has hot water baseboard and we have a bit of a problem ourselves. Since we live in humid (and not too cold) southern NJ, we simply keep a window or two in the home cracked. This allows for fresh air and humidity.

I understand the concern about molds. There was a big stink about that years ago when the "cold" humidifiers first shower up.

Look around - perhaps you can get a "hot" humidifier or maybe a manufacturer has addressed the mold problem in a better way.

Status
Not open for further replies.