Low pellet alarm/monitor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikkeeh

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2011
NE Ohio
Has anyone come up with a device to let you know when the hopper is getting low on pellets??. My stove is in the basement...and occasionally I forget to check it. A reminder sure would be nice.

YES! My 4 year old son!

Funny how a 4 year old can remember all things you need to do, but forget what you ask them to do.

"YES! My 4 year old son! "

I was looking for something more economical than that ! :)

The Quad Mt Vernon AE has a low hopper warning symbol on the thermostat.

Probly don't help you out a whole lot.

My youngest son is 16 months. He has to look in the pellet hopper everytime we go to the basement. He starts smiling and running his fingers thru the pellets.

We then proceed to the stacks of pellets where he sits onto the bags smacking them and laughing. He is a pellet piglet in training.

Huh... should be fairly simple to do. Spring loaded DPDT switch in the bottom of the hopper, connected to a LED or audible alarm. When the pellets get low, there's no longer enough weight holding the switch, it activates the alarm/LED

I guess you're not OCD about keeping the hopper full like some of us on here. (See previous threads on this subject. Pretty funny!)

I got one! The fire goes out and it gets cold! lol

Dave

DneprDave said:

Dave

That's the same one I use.

I am sure I can count on my wife in this capacity.

Check and fill in the morning, check and fill at night.

smoke show said:

How does the Quad MV AE sense hopper level? Micro switch or capacitance sensor? Or something else.

I can tell when the stove is running low on fuel by the drone noise the stove develops because of the echo off the sides of the hopper.

Indy3 said:
DneprDave said:

Dave

That's the same one I use.

If the fire goes out and it gets cold your low pellet alarm needs attention, you must have the swing set incorrectly or something.

smwilliamson said:
a diffused photo eye can measure proximity, I thought of calibrating one to measure 18 inches...whihc would then turn on my vac conveying system and fill the hopper! :lol:

only problem being that the fines in the bin might be an issue, dirtying the eye

tjnamtiw said:
smoke show said:

How does the Quad MV AE sense hopper level? Micro switch or capacitance sensor? Or something else.

I believe its a photo eye, don't even know where it is. Its never been a problem so far.

Lousyweather said:
smwilliamson said:
a diffused photo eye can measure proximity, I thought of calibrating one to measure 18 inches...whihc would then turn on my vac conveying system and fill the hopper! :lol:

only problem being that the fines in the bin might be an issue, dirtying the eye

I work on assembly machines. Photo eyes are more troublesum. Yep! Dirty lense is the common issue for improper function.

What works well is a paddle with linkage connected to a micro switch. Rock solid if installed in the proper location. Could be easily added and it can be made very safe using a low voltage switch. Add an idicator light were visible and you've got a warning system.

Much less painful than my present system. The "dong" noise is OK, Doesn't hurt the ears. Its the physical pain involve after I hear the noise! Switch to an aluminum pan, But still painful. I think she can swing it faster with more velocity! :red:

j-takeman said:
Lousyweather said:
smwilliamson said:

I work on assembly machines. Photo eyes are more troublesum. Yep! Dirty lense is the common issue for improper function.

What works well is a paddle with linkage connected to a micro switch. Rock solid if installed in the proper location. Could be easily added and it can be made very safe using a low voltage switch. Add an idicator light were visible and you've got a warning system.

Much less painful than my present system. The "dong" noise is OK, Does hurt the ears. Its the physical pain involve after I hear the noise! Switch to an aluminum pan, But still painful. I think she can swing it faster with more velocity! :red:

Ah, you have the Wife O Stat model cast iron skillet annunciator, warrantied for life. Just not yours ;-) .

SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:
Lousyweather said:
smwilliamson said:

Much less painful than my present system. The "dong" noise is OK, Does hurt the ears. Its the physical pain involve after I hear the noise! Switch to an aluminum pan, But still painful. I think she can swing it faster with more velocity! :red:

Ah, you have the Wife O Stat model cast iron skillet annunciator, warrantied for life. Just not yours ;-) .

You have one too? ;-)

j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:
Lousyweather said:
smwilliamson said:

You have one too? ;-)

Ayah, so far the warranty has lasted over 40 years.

My wife is always buying me different frying pans for birthdays and christmas. These are accessories that are used in the Do-a-tron 5000. They let me know when grass is to long, time to barbaque, paint room, and various other sundry tasks.

mikkeeh said:
Has anyone come up with a device to let you know when the hopper is getting low on pellets??. My stove is in the basement...and occasionally I forget to check it. A reminder sure would be nice.

From the Quadrafire Mt Vernon AE manual, the low level fuel sensor is:
Sensor, Fuel Level 7000-380

The fuel sensor plugs into the control board on the MT Vernon AE

However if you purchase the part from Quadrafire, you may be able to connect the low voltage trigger to a relay to drive your own alarm.

The Mt Vernon does have a plastic hopper, not sure if a metal hopper would be a problem.

That is my practical 2 cents. :)

See diagram below.

Attachments

• QuadMtVernonLowFuelSensor.jpg
    QuadMtVernonLowFuelSensor.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 310
Status
Not open for further replies.