1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Lowes Pellets - The Good news is... But the bad news is...

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Don2222, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

Went to Lowes in Salem NH yesterday.

The good news is they have Greene Team Platinum - Premium Wood Pellets

The bad news is they are $5.49 per bag or $274.50 per ton !!! OMG!

See pics below

Click to enlarge

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. xraycer

xraycer Member

Loc:
    Pelham NH
    I was the Salem Lowe's on Sunday and saw they had 29 bags of Maine Choice on the floor for $4.49/bag. Told the sales rep I'll take the entire batch from the floor, so he instructed me to go pay for it and bring my truck around. I went to pay for the pellets, but the lady at the register said that since the Maine Choice was in negative inventory, according to her computer, so she can't sell them to me. However, she offered me Green Team for $5.49. I said "no thanks"
  3. jdempsey

jdempsey Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    kentucky
    Freaking lowes where i live will eat you alive on everything from pellets to gloves and all in between.

Wish there was a home depot in this county.
  4. stellep

stellep Member

Loc:
    Eastern MA
    Yup. Same here. Can't wait to see what they get for the Inferno Titaniums. :wow:
  5. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/83338/

Went to my local Lowes today and they had three bags that had been damaged by the forks of a forklift so I asked what they were selling the damaged bags for and they gave them to me for half off. I checked to make sure the pellets weren't water damaged. Doesn't hurt to ask...
  6. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    My local Lowes is selling Inferno's, I didn't bother to check price. I just ran as fast as I could.

Don2222,

I sure hope everyone has gathered their supply before these price spikes started? I and some others have tried to warn everyone well in advance(look back in the threads if you don't believe me). My little birdies(I have a few) aren't usually wrong about these things. IMHO this is just the beginning! The days of $300 a ton are just around the corner.

There may be some deals but you will need to lower your standards a bit!
  7. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    Mill deck inventories are at 10 year lows. That spells a raw material bottleneck soon.
    The raw material producing infrastructure issues I have mentioned the last 3 years here are also coming to a head.
    There is also another potential problem that has presented itself in the last year. Gas rich regions of PA, OH,WV, and NY are also high volume sources of timber. Large landowners are cash heavy in these areas and are not bidding off timber sales due to poor lumber markets. This means alot less raw material on the market. Needless to say its going to be interesting to watch these markets the next 2-3 years.
    There has also been discussion at the CME ,of futures trading of certain cellulosic fibre in the not to distant future.
    On a better note , Miscanthus pellet production for commercial use is probably less than 2 years away. It's yet to be determined how many TPY of high grade residential use pellets this will offset and if they can be used in multifuel residential stoves. Word is they are to dirty for your average stove.
  8. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Thanks Lee,

Lee was also doing some warning! The following is a bit off topic, But interesting stuff!

Here's a tid bit on Miscanthus pellet production. Miscanthus is often described as a "cold weather sugar cane,"

http://www.accessil.org/MiscanthusTestPlot.htm

I haven't seen much for ash content. But being a field grass you can bet it contains silica and will leave a clinker ta boot! Still waiting on some bamboo trials, For something that grows like a grass, It seemed to be the least forgiving!
  9. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    It is getting cold. Pellet prices are going up. Surprise. Surprise. Surprise. When was the last time they went down in November? :lol:
  10. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    2009 when oil prices took a dive.
  11. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Actually a little trip through the fuel price reporting section showed that in 2009 they were cheap in the summer, went up in October, moderated a little back to the price the previous summer in November and then shot up again in December.
  12. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Yes, like when the gasoline goes up and food prices start rising!

But not all pellets are up there yet.

Is this a good price for somersets?
    http://www.thetoolworkshop.com/somerset40lbbagwoodpelletp90001.aspx

MSRP: $4.89
    Price: $3.95
    You Save: $0.94
    8,898 In stock Usually Ships Today
    Item Number: 427648
    Manufacturer: Somerset
    Manufacturer Part No: P90001
    UPC: 0749422100010
    Must be order Packs of: 50
    LTL Shipment Only
  13. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    I got 6 tons in November of 2009 of which I have 1.5 tons left.

I couldn't let the deal go by.
  14. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Not just the price BB, Take a look at a few of the major brands. Many are unavailable.
  15. ohbix

ohbix Member

Loc:
    OH
    Purchased Somersets today at Menards, 3.39/bag. HD has AWFs for 177/ton, NE OH.
  16. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Same here, But Menard's in Sandusky is now selling Magic Spark instead of their previous stovk of Somerset's!
  17. smoke show

smoke show Guest

Watch out for anything near Sandusky. :lol:
  18. jrsdws

jrsdws Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Illinois
    Central Illinois Menards stores all carrying different pellets on sale at $3.39/bag. I've seen Somerset's, Magic Sparks, and Indeck, at my three nearest stores. They told me yesterday that Menards considers it a commodity product and the stores get whatever corporate sends them. They are simply listed as "wood fuel pellets" with no brand names.

I'm cruising by another store this afternoon to see what they have. I'll fill my little car with Somerset's everyday at $3.39. Heck, the regular price of $3.47 is great too.
  19. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Now that's funny!!! :)

Remember, I didn't say it, I just laughed, Save all your lecturing for the Smoke Show!!! ;-)
  20. Bank

Bank Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    S. Maine
    Thanks alot you guys have been great, I'll be here all week! Don't forget to tip your waiters and waitresses!!!