Lowes Pellets - The Good news is... But the bad news is...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Went to Lowes in Salem NH yesterday.

The good news is they have Greene Team Platinum - Premium Wood Pellets

The bad news is they are $5.49 per bag or $274.50 per ton !!! OMG!

See pics below

Click to enlarge

Attachments

• GreeneTeamPellets (1)sc.jpg
    GreeneTeamPellets (1)sc.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 869
  • GreeneTeamPellets (2)sc.jpg
    GreeneTeamPellets (2)sc.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 978
I was the Salem Lowe's on Sunday and saw they had 29 bags of Maine Choice on the floor for $4.49/bag. Told the sales rep I'll take the entire batch from the floor, so he instructed me to go pay for it and bring my truck around. I went to pay for the pellets, but the lady at the register said that since the Maine Choice was in negative inventory, according to her computer, so she can't sell them to me. However, she offered me Green Team for $5.49. I said "no thanks"

Freaking lowes where i live will eat you alive on everything from pellets to gloves and all in between.

Wish there was a home depot in this county.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/83338/

Went to my local Lowes today and they had three bags that had been damaged by the forks of a forklift so I asked what they were selling the damaged bags for and they gave them to me for half off. I checked to make sure the pellets weren't water damaged. Doesn't hurt to ask...

stellep said:
Yup. Same here. Can't wait to see what they get for the Inferno Titaniums. :wow:

My local Lowes is selling Inferno's, I didn't bother to check price. I just ran as fast as I could.

Don2222,

I sure hope everyone has gathered their supply before these price spikes started? I and some others have tried to warn everyone well in advance(look back in the threads if you don't believe me). My little birdies(I have a few) aren't usually wrong about these things. IMHO this is just the beginning! The days of $300 a ton are just around the corner.

There may be some deals but you will need to lower your standards a bit!

j-takeman said:
stellep said:
Yup. Same here. Can't wait to see what they get for the Inferno Titaniums. :wow:

My local Lowes is selling Inferno's, I didn't bother to check price. I just ran as fast as I could.

Don2222,

I sure hope everyone has gathered their supply before these price spikes started? I and some others have tried to warn everyone well in advance(look back in the threads if you don't believe me). My little birdies(I have a few) aren't usually wrong about these things. IMHO this is just the beginning! The days of $300 a ton are just around the corner.

Mill deck inventories are at 10 year lows. That spells a raw material bottleneck soon.
The raw material producing infrastructure issues I have mentioned the last 3 years here are also coming to a head.
There is also another potential problem that has presented itself in the last year. Gas rich regions of PA, OH,WV, and NY are also high volume sources of timber. Large landowners are cash heavy in these areas and are not bidding off timber sales due to poor lumber markets. This means alot less raw material on the market. Needless to say its going to be interesting to watch these markets the next 2-3 years.
There has also been discussion at the CME ,of futures trading of certain cellulosic fibre in the not to distant future.
On a better note , Miscanthus pellet production for commercial use is probably less than 2 years away. It's yet to be determined how many TPY of high grade residential use pellets this will offset and if they can be used in multifuel residential stoves. Word is they are to dirty for your average stove.

uncontrolabLEE said:
j-takeman said:
stellep said:

Don2222,

Mill deck inventories are at 10 year lows. That spells a raw material bottleneck soon.
The raw material producing infrastructure issues I have mentioned the last 3 years here are also coming to a head.
There is also another potential problem that has presented itself in the last year. Gas rich regions of PA, OH,WV, and NY are also high volume sources of timber. Large landowners are cash heavy in these areas and are not bidding off timber sales due to poor lumber markets. This means alot less raw material on the market. Needless to say its going to be interesting to watch these markets the next 2-3 years.
There has also been discussion at the CME ,of futures trading of certain cellulosic fibre in the not to distant future.
On a better note , Miscanthus pellet production for commercial use is probably less than 2 years away. It's yet to be determined how many TPY of high grade residential use pellets this will offset and if they can be used in multifuel residential stoves. Word is they are to dirty for your average stove.

Thanks Lee,

Lee was also doing some warning! The following is a bit off topic, But interesting stuff!

Here's a tid bit on Miscanthus pellet production. Miscanthus is often described as a "cold weather sugar cane,"

http://www.accessil.org/MiscanthusTestPlot.htm

I haven't seen much for ash content. But being a field grass you can bet it contains silica and will leave a clinker ta boot! Still waiting on some bamboo trials, For something that grows like a grass, It seemed to be the least forgiving!

It is getting cold. Pellet prices are going up. Surprise. Surprise. Surprise. When was the last time they went down in November? :lol:

BrotherBart said:
It is getting cold. Pellet prices are going up. Surprise. Surprise. Surprise. When was the last time they went down in November? :lol:

2009 when oil prices took a dive.

Actually a little trip through the fuel price reporting section showed that in 2009 they were cheap in the summer, went up in October, moderated a little back to the price the previous summer in November and then shot up again in December.

BrotherBart said:

Yes, like when the gasoline goes up and food prices start rising!

But not all pellets are up there yet.

Is this a good price for somersets?
http://www.thetoolworkshop.com/somerset40lbbagwoodpelletp90001.aspx

MSRP: $4.89
Price: $3.95
You Save: $0.94
8,898 In stock Usually Ships Today
Item Number: 427648
Manufacturer: Somerset
Manufacturer Part No: P90001
UPC: 0749422100010
Must be order Packs of: 50
LTL Shipment Only

BrotherBart said:

Not just the price BB, Take a look at a few of the major brands. Many are unavailable.

ohbix said:
Purchased Somersets today at Menards, 3.39/bag. HD has AWFs for 177/ton, NE OH.

Same here, But Menard's in Sandusky is now selling Magic Spark instead of their previous stovk of Somerset's!

Eatonpcat said:
ohbix said:

Same here, But Menard's in Sandusky is now selling Magic Spark instead of their previous stovk of Somerset's!

Watch out for anything near Sandusky. :lol:

Central Illinois Menards stores all carrying different pellets on sale at $3.39/bag. I've seen Somerset's, Magic Sparks, and Indeck, at my three nearest stores. They told me yesterday that Menards considers it a commodity product and the stores get whatever corporate sends them. They are simply listed as "wood fuel pellets" with no brand names.

I'm cruising by another store this afternoon to see what they have. I'll fill my little car with Somerset's everyday at $3.39. Heck, the regular price of $3.47 is great too.

smoke show said:
Eatonpcat said:
ohbix said:

Now that's funny!!! :)

Remember, I didn't say it, I just laughed, Save all your lecturing for the Smoke Show!!! ;-)

smoke show said:
Eatonpcat said:
ohbix said:

Thanks alot you guys have been great, I'll be here all week! Don't forget to tip your waiters and waitresses!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.