LOWE'S SALE WHAT'S THE DILLY????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey danno, Your're not that far off from the 13. the 12 is exactly the same size. It just doesn't have the epa rating. Still, for $350 it was still a good deal. ;-)

Danno77 said:
I'm thinking that if your lowes carries them and they aren't on sale RIGHT NOW, then they won't ever be. The summer's heat version of the New Englander 13 was listed at just under 400 bucks at lowes and I thought I was going to get one because the computer said they had one in stock. Turns out they had a defective one sitting in the back to be returned. So, alas, I got the smaller cheaper stove.

You should of tried to buy it cheap and had it repaired/replaced under warranty.

Stopped by again today and the center aisle was loaded with lawn mowers and patio furniture. They had moved the 12 stoves they could not sell into the over heads racks where they will gather dust until next year. I do not understand the logic of not putting them on clearance. You would figure at 50% off they would be moving them at cost, free up space, and generate some foot traffic. If you want to treat them as a year round item, then I do not think moving them out of site would increase their chances of selling them. And given the fact these are not exactly a hi volume item (like refigerators and other appliances) their strategy escapes me.

blel said:
Danno77 said:
I'm thinking that if your lowes carries them and they aren't on sale RIGHT NOW, then they won't ever be. The summer's heat version of the New Englander 13 was listed at just under 400 bucks at lowes and I thought I was going to get one because the computer said they had one in stock. Turns out they had a defective one sitting in the back to be returned. So, alas, I got the smaller cheaper stove.

You should of tried to buy it cheap and had it repaired/replaced under warranty.
It was already returned and apparently had been burned up (overfired?). I asked if I could see it, because the salesman gave me some story about a guy hooking it up to single wall pipe and how that ruined it. I didn't follow his story because it didn't make sense. Basically I asked to see it because I always suspect the worst and figured some employee was hiding it in the back to buy for himself or something.

Hate to be a wet blanket but........

I love a great deal as much or more than the next guy. But my gas bill this January was $70. I burn 24/5. I own the house next door as a rental. Both houses are the same size and same construction. Their gas bill was $284 and that is with a programmable T-stat that reduces heating to 54f 7am-4pm m-f and reduces heat to 57f during sleeping hours. Apples to apples comparison.

If you want to save money on heating the way to do it is to buy a stove and start using it. The sooner the better. The real savings are not the purchase price of the stove but in the reduced reliance of utilities. Its expensive to properly install a wood stove but the sooner its done the more you save. The longer you wait chasing a deal is more money out of your pocket that you will never recoup.

I think I will see a savings of about $900 this winter by using my stove. I think that is much better than chasing the elusive "end of season" deal to save $300 on a NCL-13 or 30. Plus I`m really warm and comfortable. Wood heat is just plain nice.

Flame away but that is my story and I`m sticking to it.

If you want to save money on heating the way to do it is to buy a stove and start using it. The sooner the better. The real savings are not the purchase price of the stove but in the reduced reliance of utilities. Its expensive to properly install a wood stove but the sooner its done the more you save. The longer you wait chasing a deal is more money out of your pocket that you will never recoup.

I think I will see a savings of about $900 this winter by using my stove. I think that is much better than chasing the elusive “end of season” deal to save $300 on a NCL-13 or 30. Plus I`m really warm and comfortable. Wood heat is just plain nice.

Flame away but that is my story and I`m sticking to it.

I agree with you, I dont mind spending the money now because it will pay for itself over the years, who knows what oil will be in 4-5 years. Of course that doesnt stop me from looking for the best deal I can get.

It's always nice to save money, but I think Glenn's point is that each month spent paying for utilities is money that could have been spent on a stove. For example, I only heat with my stove F/S/S, but that still saves me at least $100/mth. I bought the Englander 13 with a coupon for $650 in October. Had I waited for 50% off, not only would I not have enjoyed wood heating, but it would have COST me $100 (~$100/mth X 5 = $500 vs. 50% off $799 = $400).

Of course, Lowe's and HD are not doing 50% off in my area nor are there stoves in stock; therefore, it would have COST me $500, and the season's not done yet.

S

Fair enough assumption about cost of a stove paying for itself. With me, the stove and entire assortment of parts and work that I need to do the install will take months to acquire. i could have purchased the stove for 350 more last fall before the heating season, but I'd still be buying up the stuff I need. I still have to get a stainless chimney liner, insulation for the liner, everything above the roof, black stove pipe, build a hearth, etc etc. basic point is that I wasn't going to burn with this stove this winter, so why not wait as long as possible and get it on the cheap. Regardless of how much money I'd save per month with a stove, I still can't afford to spend over 1000 bucks on anything. We don't use credit cards, our savings are for emergencies. I can either save a few hundred a month and buy it all together, or I can shop around for sales and deals and just aim to have it all going by next fall. I have lots of time and not a lot of money, so the deal worked for me. besides, I've been working hard to have seasoned wood for next year, would have been pointless to buy my stove without wood to burn in it.

If you have a few thousand laying around and you are waiting for this sale to get a stove installed then I agree that you'd be wasting valuable time and money and the overall savings long term will outweigh the cost of savings on a Lowes' sale.

Same goes for replacing your old stove. If you already have one that's working, why not save yourself a couple of bucks by waiting? Sure you might need to chop more wood to keep your older stove working at a level a new stove would, but labor and wood are free for some of us.

There are 7 Lowes within 45 minutes of us. 4 have the stove in stock at full price. 3 list the stove at $549 but are out of stock. So.... if they don't have it, it's 549. If they do have it, its full price. Sounds a bit like a scam. I'll have to check the Home Depots.

Maybe Lowes and Home Depot are reading this thread????????? AAAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!! The enemy broke through our lines!!!!!!!

Man I am glad I got my 30 last year. It was $476.00
The way they sold out so fast last year, combined with the energy & economy crap now, they prolly smartened up and figured they would sell at normal pricing.
They had to have taken a bath last year.

Hogwildz said:
The way they sold out so fast last year, combined with the energy & economy crap now, they prolly smartened up and figured they would sell at normal pricing.

They took the real bath year before last. We had a warm December and January and they threw everything on sale nationwide in late January. All hell broke loose weather wise the next week and they had already sold everything.

BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:

They took the real bath year before last. We had a warm December and January and they threw everything on sale nationwide in late January. All hell broke loose weather wise the next week and they had already sold everything.

As long as Englander themselves didn't take the bath. I just can't get myself to feel sorry for, or feel bad for giving it up the wazoo to another big corp.
I'll lose nosleep. The amount of business I been giving both Lowes & HD the last 3 years while working on the house, they should have given me the stove.
But, I'll consider the 50% off purchase, my own customer appreciation gesture. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.