LP Fireplace install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

straight30weight

Feb 20, 2022
Honeoye falls NY
Quick backstory, I built an addition on my home and we decided to install a LP fireplace. I bought a Vermont Castings Majestic and my intentions were to complete the install myself. I've been working on the room in between other projects and life, and I'm now done, with the exception of the fireplace. I have it framed, I've run the black iron gas to the unit (will need to finish the gas once the fireplace is in place permanently.

Anyway, it's time to do the venting and I have some questions. I have a hearth and home rear vent termination kit, SLP-RVTK and I am trying to find a suitable vinyl siding standoff for it. I purchased a dura-vent 46DVA-VSS but it is HUGE! And ugly. Does the standoff need to be so large? It's 17X17, my termination is only 11X12. Couldn't I use something more like a 13X13 or so? Does anyone have a recommendation? I have a wall thimble, I have an adjustable length pipe. I should be good to go with everything else, in regards to the venting. I just want to make sure that I get this right, I don't want any warped or melting siding, fires, and I'd like it to be as eye pleasing from the outside as possible.

Also, I did make a fair attempt at having this wrapped up by someone who does this all day, every day. Turns out, if they didn't make any money on the retail side, they aren't willing to assume any liability on the install side. So I'm on my own here.

That works. If you can find someone to bend up one of these so that it fits INSIDE the outer half of your cap, it would look better. It needs to hold your cap at least 4” off the siding…
1645391270439.jpeg
Will that work for you?