M55 Insert thermostat hookup problems (not working, stove on low level)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steveg_nh

Sep 16, 2014
Southern NH
So today I hooked up a SkyTech 5301p to my M55 insert, but it's not working right. It seems to only run the stove in low mode when hooked up and on either Auto/Off or Hi/Lo.

To set the stage, the hookup was very simple, unless I missed something.

The two black wires from the Skytech receiver were connected to the two red thermostat wires on the back of the M55. No preference was given to the black wires, as my understanding is that there is no polarity or anything, that they are interchangeable.

I made sure the receiver and the remote were paired properly (perhaps it lost the pairing, and the stove doesn't think a thermostat is even hooked up, so the default run mode is low when on a tstat control panel setting)? Another possibility, is that the receiver somehow isn't on the "remote" setting and is off. I doubt it, but I might have to slide it out and double check.

The problem is this - once I have it in Auto/Off or Hi/Lo mode, the stove has a small flame and low blower setting. Even if the thermostat shows it is calling for heat, it still never increases. The control panel does show a heat setting of 5 (how I set it) and that never seems to change.

According to the owners manual, when the stove is being controlled by a thermostat, the pellet fuel type (premium, normal, multi) light will flash. I get no flashing.

So in short, the Skytech seems to be doing nothing, and the stove is defaulting to a low run mode. When doing this, if I flip the switch to Manual, the stove blower immediately increases to the right level and the flame grows in size to the proper level. If I flip the switch back to Hi/Lo, the blower lowers and the flames dies off until it's small again. What gives?

1. Bad skytech thermostat possibly? I think unlikely, but you never know.
2. Maybe my pairing is broken, and I need to repair.
3. Maybe my receiver isn't in the "remote" setting.
4. Something else like a wiring hookup issue or something that I don't know about/can't think of?

Any help is appreciated. I was so excited to get the SkyTech thermostat hooked up, but it's not doing anything like it should be.

Thanks for the help.

How far is the thermostat from the stove? The range is not that great, and if it is too far it has a safety feature that will kick it into low. On the 3301 I can scroll through the modes, and when I choose "off" or"on" the receiver will beep once. If the 5301 is similar you can try this to see if the tstat is communicating with the receiver. If you have the receiver behind the stove it may also make the signal weaker, I have mine on the side just behind the apron.

You can also Chang the stove thermostat mode switch any time without shutting down. I just checked my fuel Typ indicator light and it s not blinking, that may be a new feature?

Did you remove a jumper? On my m55 the jumper has to be removed if using a T stat.

Where was the jumper? Was it on the board? It certainly wasn't connecting the two tstat wires on the stove. Is yours an insert?

How far is the thermostat from the stove? The range is not that great, and if it is too far it has a safety feature that will kick it into low. On the 3301 I can scroll through the modes, and when I choose "off" or"on" the receiver will beep once. If the 5301 is similar you can try this to see if the tstat is communicating with the receiver. If you have the receiver behind the stove it may also make the signal weaker, I have mine on the side just behind the apron.

You can also Chang the stove thermostat mode switch any time without shutting down. I just checked my fuel Typ indicator light and it s not blinking, that may be a new feature?

I was right next to the stove in a chair. Maybe 3' from the receiver? I don't hear any beeping, but didn't when I was playing with it before I installed it though. Not sure on the blinking fuel light, but that's what it says in my manual...

With my t-stat operating the stove, I don't have a flashing light on the control pannel.

I'm not aware of a jumper on the insert. As far as I know, it's the two red wires on the back of the stove. As you mentioned, no polarity.

Hope you are able to get this sorted out. It sounds like the t-stat isn't calling for heat and the stove is chugging along in low mode.

Well, looks like I need to pull it out and check the receiver...

http://enviro.com/dev/custom_conten...struction M55C-FPI Domestic Owners Manual.pdf

Page 17 shows the t-stat connection blocks with the red connection wires already hooked up. On mine, FS free standing, there was a copper wire/jumper between the two blocks. Seems they did away with that and just placed the easy hook up wires. Should matter now that you have the t-stat remote connected to it and completing the circuit.

You are right, it doesn't matter which remote wire connect to which red board wire.

I would read the Skytech manual again, maybe it is not in the correct mode, maybe the swing temp hasn't been engaged yet so you have to wait for that difference before it kicks on.

After that, check the remote, batteries maybe?

Good luck.

Ok, chaulk this one up to me just being stupid! I had the receiver switch set to "OFF". Yup, that would do it. I just slid it back in and it's firing up. More soon. Feel so dumb.

Reactions: vinny11950
Ok, chaulk this one up to me just being stupid! I had the receiver switch set to "OFF". Yup, that would do it. I just slid it back in and it's firing up. More soon. Feel so dumb.

I do stupid stuff every day. Glad it worked out.

My wife says I do too. I just don't believe her. :)

As of right now, it's in Hi/Lo mode, the thermostat is calling for heat, and the flame is blasting on setting 5. Looks like problem solved. Once it satisfies the temp, I'll feel all good about it when the flame drops to low.

so you have it on setting 5 and then it drops once the tstat stops calling for heat?

on mine, the stove will only go up to the heat level selected when the tstat calls for heat. not sure which way uses less pellets and achieves best heat. that's probably a whole new thread.

Meaning should you blast it, get it to temp quick, or run on 3 or 4, and more slowly bring it up?

Yeah, not sure. Setting 5 uses a lot of pellets, but I was more testing it as it's easy to see you're on setting 5 for real due to flame size and blower power.

In Hi/Lo mode, when the tstat doesn't call for heat, the stove drops to setting 1 by default. In Auto/Off mode, it would shut down, and then fire up again (ignite) when it calls for heat. That's more suited to warmer temps, when cycling between calling and not calling has more time between them.

Meaning should you blast it, get it to temp quick, or run on 3 or 4, and more slowly bring it up?

Yeah, not sure. Setting 5 uses a lot of pellets, but I was more testing it as it's easy to see you're on setting 5 for real due to flame size and blower power.

Got it. I thought you had figured out that setting 5 on the tstat was better/used less pellets to bring up the temp.

Ah. Yeah,. my tstat just has temperature settings, not run settings for the stove.

I own a Quadra Fire Mt. Vernon E2 and I love this model. I have the remote thermostat recommended distance from stove is fifteen feet. Several times stove went into shutdown mode and would not restart. My thermometer was set with 2 degree swing. I currently have placed thermostat within 4 feet of stove (on side). Works ok from that location. The manual says within 25-20 feet should operate properly. Thanks

My problem was I had the switch wrong but I've found the range lacking and inconsistent. Sometimes it looses connection In a spot where normally it works fine.

It's in the back of the stove, sitting on it's metal frame. I think that's killing it. My plan is the next time I roll it out onto the rails, to move it just behind the apron.

Status
Not open for further replies.