M55 Pellet consumption impacted by pellet burning temperature?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Firing a pellet stove manually will never provide a valid comparison to a oil system on a t-stat.

Most people when running any stove manually will tend to both overheat the space or under-heat it when compared to a t-stat controlled system.

One of the fun games in the manual fired world is to sort of guess which heat range to run the stove at night so you don't end up in a soggy state or a frozen state.

Oh yeah, that's what I thought you meant. I bought a tstat, and will be hooking it up as soon as my service rails come in so I can easily slide the stove out.

And just because I'm this much of a data geek, I've kept track of my oil usage since 2010. Here's my average daily usage by month. :)

View attachment 145067
Nice, I run my oil usage charts from July to June, better to visually capture a heating season. From your prior comments, I noticed that you were thinking in calendar years in terms of your oil use.

As Smokey notes, oil use and pellet use are not an equivalent match, given how they heat differently, but for newer homes with open floorplans, they can give a good idea of approximate usage.

Good idea, about switching my data to be July to June. Easy to do, since I have all the data.

As for heating, really can't believe how well this insert is heating my home. We got down to 20 degrees for 3 nights straight, so things settled in, and on setting 3 the house held 70.

Well I just found some Cubex pellets. Picked up 2 more tons. So that gives me 6.25 tons for my first season.

Reactions: RickNH
Status
Not open for further replies.