M55 will not stop feeding pellets and shut down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmartin

Sep 4, 2014
Central Michigan
My M55 Goes through the start up sequence as designed. All buttons on the control panel seem to work as they should. I can't really tell if the feed trim control works properly. A thermostat is installed and in the off position. After 30 to 40 minutes in any mode (Auto/High-Low/Manual on Premium Pellet Mode) when I press the on/off button to shut it down the convection fan speed increases as it should and the agitator turns for 5 minutes then stops as it should. The feed auger seems to feed pellets at the same rate for the entire 30 to 40 minutes.

The problem is that the feed auger continuously feeds pellets instead of stopping as it should. 10 to 15 minutes after pressing the on/off button the feed auger is still feeding pellets and I have to unplug the power cord to shut down the stove.

Am I correct in assuming that power to the feed auger is switched on and off from the mother board and not somewhere between the mother board and feed auger? If I am correct, then I need a new mother board.

Is it possible that another switch (less expensive than the mother board) in the circuit is telling the feed auger to continue to feed pellets.

I have searched the forums and cannot find where this has ever happened to anyone else here. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks

Sounds like a fried triac on the control board! Repair or replace the board ASAP!

Watch the auger light. If the light goes out and the auger is still feeding the board is junk!

Thank you sir!

I am ordering a new mother board.

I have only run the stove this fall while sitting in front of it and observing it's operation while timing the startup sequence and making sure it operates correctly and safely.

The last thing I would do is start it up for the first time this fall and go to bed assuming it will burn safely. It would be a good idea for any one starting up this fall to do the same and be certain that their stove will cool and shut down the way it is designed. Things can go real wrong real fast.

Keep it safe everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.