M55C-FPI Cast Insert, ash drawer and top slider gasket question w/pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
image.jpeg image.jpeg My Ash drawer gasket seems in good shape but my sliding cast top gasket is worn in spots. See pics. I think I understand their job in reducing air flow and preventing fires...What I want to know is, if worn, how much if any does this have with the performance of the stove....flame height, combustion....ect! I don't want to change the gasket if it's not needed, just curious. Thanks, Bill

Your posting seems to have viewers but no comments! Most stoves have some leeway in how much leaking they can have before the fire is poor and the vacuum switch shuts things down. Some notice a longer start up. I noticed a poorer flame and some carbon issues and the manometer was showing the stove was not what it was when first installed. With a length of good graphite rope being less than 10 bucks and some adhesive for around $4 replacement is one of the easier projects to tackle. A drill mounted wire wheel brush about another $4 can make the whole project not accounting for the adhesive to setup some less than an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.