MA new member

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jimtriz

Jan 7, 2017
Western MA
Hello. I am new to the forum but have been using pellets to heat for a long time. I recently retired my Breckwell P24FS after 20 years of service. I got the Heatilator CAB50 this fall and so far am loving it! The Breckwell was only 34000 btu's max and was a bit under-powered for my home. At the time I bought it, it was one of the best and biggest on the market. It was always running on the high settings to try to keep the house warm. With the CAB50 however, it runs on the medium fan speed and keeps the house very toasty. I live in a ranch style home about 1100 sq. ft. I purchased from a local dealer for $1800 and at the time of purchase he also threw in a powersmith ash vac and programmable thermostat. The stove is in my basement and i have the thermostat upstairs. So far this set up is working beautifully. What a difference from the Breckwell! No more constantly changing the feed settings and starting the fire with the gel anymore. I love how the stove shuts down when not needed and restarts later. I know this is normal to most of you, but remember I've spent the last 20 years basically in the stone age compared to now!! LOL I'm currently burning New England Hardwood pellets as that's what I've used for the last 18 years. Next season I'm thinking of trying a softwood pellet for comparison. I look forward to hanging out here and sharing and learning from all for you. Jim

Reactions: RSica
Lots of great info here for your stove. Enjoy the heat.

You might like a softwood pellet. Try a few different brands