magnehelic gauge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

canuck_22

Feeling the Heat
Feb 4, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Hi all,

1) Which magnehelic gauge should I buy to measure my Harman P61A, as there are many models out there what scale do I need?

2) Looking at my pipes today I find there is some sticky black stuff in there and feel I probably need to adjust the stove to get a more efficient burn.

3) Can I clean that black stuff with the same cleaner I use on my glass >> Imperial Glass Cleaner

Thanks

I would only attack stove glass with an approved stove glass cleaner as most stoves glass is ceramic. May have acquired the creosote in the shoulder season with short firings that don't really get a stove to a good cleaning fire. Kinda like when pre injector cars got carboned up making short trips.

1) Which magnehelic gauge should I buy to measure my Harman P61A

You need a gauge that reads from 0 to .5 Most stoves I have checked seem to run between .1 to .3 inches Water Column. My vacuum switch kicks in at about .05 inches water.
Dwyer Model 2302 would work.
I use a digital uei model em201 a little pricey however mine is used nearly everyday.

A piece of flexible plastic tubing,ruler and some colored water will give you a ballpark reading for a few dollars. Google how to build a manometer.

Reactions: Bioburner
You tube has several videos of how to make one. Hardest part is bushing down the hole on the stove hole so the tubing does not leak. I just used several wraps of electric tape on the tubing. Wont last long as the stove will get hot down by the port eventually.

IMG_0372.JPG
this is what you for just any kind of stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.