Magnetic thermometer longevity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy folks,

I've been burning since 2010. Every season I've had to buy a new magnetic thermometer for the stove top. They're fairly inexpensive at $20 each, but what gives? Shouldn't they last longer than that?

The first season I had the brand with the "exciting" faceplate. Last two seasons have been a Lowes Imperial brand thermometer. I always put it in the front left corner of my Jotul f500. They seem to always break during the summer, oddly enough. I always tell the kids not to touch them, but they inevitably forget and it seems all you have to do is pick one up to break it.

I plan to buy an IR thermometer this year too, but I really like having a mechanical unit around in case I lose my batteries or something.

Is there a magic brand with 5 or 10 year longevity?

Not sure what brand mine is, but I bought it at a local hardware store. Nothing special. I don't keep it on a corner though, it stays on the center stone of my Hearthstone Heritage and works as good today (five years later) as it did when I bought it. Could it be where you are placing it?

Sorry I can't be more helpful...

sandhill.jpg

A good one should last pretty long as it isn't run over-range. We still have our 1980 Sandhill thermometer that came with our VC Resolute. And it still checks out as accurate after 33 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.