Maine Pellets - softwood. Reaction: meh...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i got my two ton of softies for $235 delivered. i bought well early.
if they are much more next spring, i may not get more.
won't have anything to say about how they burn till it's 20 below outside.
i'm definitely planning on being stingy with them.
the blend got me through last winter just fine.

I've burned the MWP hardwood softwood blend, Greene Teams, Barefoots, MWP 100% softwoods as well as Oakies over my past 4 winters of pellet burning, and for me the MWP 100% softwoods have burned the best in my Quadrafire Castile and have been the best costs - to- heat output value, IMO. The Oakies, for their significant higher cost, had a lot of fines and didn't burn any hotter than the MWP softwoods do for about the same amount of ash. I know both the Oakies and the MWP 100% softwood pellets burn significantly hotter in my stove, as my convection blower used to cycle on and off regularly with the blended pellets as the firebox temperature would drop off, but with 100% softwood the convection blower stays on all the time, therefore giving more continuous heat output.

But I have also done a few Quad modifications since I burned the MWP and other hardwood softwood blends, like putting coiled springs inside the heater tubes to increase the amount of time the convection blower air is being heated, as well as covering the door air wash to increase the amount of air flow through the burn pot. Shrink film insulating the inside and outside of our large picture window in the room the pellet stove is in has helped a lot to keep that room as warm as possible in order to transfer more heat to the other rooms in our 175 y/o drafty New England farmhouse.

For me the dealer service is as much of a decision in what type of pellet I buy as the quality and cost of the pellet is. I've always gotten great service from Steve and his staff at SIB, at very competitive prices, and I will continue to buy whatever softwood pellets he is selling. Last year he moved my delivery date up because of a change in an order from another customer he was delivering to in my area, and I couldn't be home to meet him that day. But he delivered them anyway right where he has left them in my garage / barn in the past, and he left a note saying I could call him w/ my credit card # when I got the chance. I would not get that level of service out of any 'big box" store.

Reactions: sinnian
Status
Not open for further replies.