Majestic double side fireplace, want to either get an insert or replace doors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynne Black

Hearth Supporter
Apr 30, 2007
I have a 1985 Majestic MST36 double sided Zero Clearance gas fireplace. I hate the doors, they are just ugly. I have looked online for replacement doors and they are about $450 each which is just stupid expensive imo.
Given that cost, I am considering other options:

1. Replace it with a double sided insert- can anyone direct me to one that would fit and could be installed mostly by a DIY'r?

2. Find another source for replacement doors that are cheaper than z-doors - anyone have any suggestions?

3. Just paint the doors and frames black and clean them up and try not to look at them much.

Last question, the doors have a sort of 'angled hood' does this serve any purpose? I think it adds to the overall 1985 ugliness...

Thanks in advance! Lynne

Here's a picture of the nasty thing:

DRfireplace.jpg

Misery loves company.

I've got the wood-burning version of that firewplace, and I agree with everything you say. Ours smokes, so we never use it.

We thought about replacing it with a modern gas unit, but that's not as easy as you might think.

I don't think you can hook up any other wood-burning appliance to that chimney. It's not a Class A, I don't believe. That's if you could find a two-sided insert. Don't know if I've ever seen one of those.

I have no idea what those hood thingys are for, but they don't add anything to the look, do they?

Here's mine:

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 556
  • fireplace2.jpg
    fireplace2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 477
There are plenty replacement door for your stove. Check out your chimney many were of aluminium centers that will corrode and develop pin holes.
Many were only warranted only 10 years

Where would I find replacement doors other than the z-door? I have looked everywhere I can online, and the only thing I can find is the Z-Door at about $450-$472 per door. This gas fireplace is pretty much useless, it's not just ugly, it's very inefficient-if you turn it on you need to practically crawl inside to feel any warmth. My goal is to make it look better or replace it with a pellet insert if that is at all possible. Any links or advice would be appreciated.

If you are going to put an insert in it, one side would probably have to be plated off. I have never see a ST insert. You could always just tear it out and have something new put in. But if you think $500 is expensive for doors, wait till you see that quote!

Status
Not open for further replies.