Major Maintenance On my Trusty Consolidated Dutchwest Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katwillny

Hey All,

So what started out as a minor gasket replacement on the glass doors on my wood stove ended up as a major overhaul of the unit. To start with, I dropped one of the glass panes and shattered one of them. ARRGGGG. I called several glass stores only to find out that Tempered Ceramic Glass is quite hard to find, not to mention expensive as it relates to any other type of glass. Long story short, changed both glass panes, gaskets and replace the interior cast iron crates with heat resistant bricks. The guys at Fishkill Glass Pane, Fishkill NY, were wonderful at custom cutting the ceramic glass at a fraction of what many places including hearth stores were charging me for one pane. Cant wait for tonight to light up the old girl.

Franklin

The local glass shop helped me when I needed to replace the glass on my CDW. I brought the door in so they could account for any casting irregularities. It worked well until the day I gave it to my neighbor.

Matt

Yea those guys were a big help. Initially the glass was going to run me $58 per pane. I was just going to replace the one I broke, but they were able to custom make both panes for 45 bucks. cant beat that.
I see that you are in Schenectady, I bet you guys are getting some chilly nights already.

Status
Not open for further replies.