Make your own / DIY Firewood Carrier - Tote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mnowaczyk

Feeling the Heat
Feb 19, 2009
Delaware
I'm super happy with this firewood tote.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/1978-09-01/Mothers-Rope-Wood-Carrier.aspx

I made two of them with 50' of 3/8" manilla rope (~$6 at Home Depot) and a couple leftover 2x2 spindles from a deck I built. It was no precision job to drill the holes in the 2x2s with the 3/8th drill bit, but it doesn't seem to matter much. The only thing that mattered seemed to be the requirement of knots to hold the middle boards from dropping to the bottom/middle when you carry it. With the ~25' of rope per carrier, and 4 knots in each of the main ropes (one on each end, plus the ones in the middle to keep the middle boards from falling) I can fill the carrier with just about the right weight of wood. I'm no strongman, but I'm just a little uncomfortable carrying two full loads, which is about 24 hours worth of burn time. So I can make a single trip per day to the wood pile.

Anyway, I love the carrier and thought I'd share this with the forum. (It was not easy to find on the web.)

EDIT:
Just realized that I put two middle boards, and the pcitured only has one. One Board is probably easier and all that's required. Maybe mine are a little bigger than the one pictured.

Might be talking to myself only here, but... Now that I tried my wheelbarrow and noticed it rolls right through the side porch door, I'm feeling a little silly that I ever brought in wood any other way. Well, if you have to get wood from somewhere you can't use a wheelbarrow, o don't have one, the carrier in the above link is nice to have around, and extremely economical. Hey... at least I didn't spend a lot of money on my carrier before I realized I should use a wheelbarow.

The wife won't let me drive the wheelbarrow through the front entry, down the hall, through the dining room, and into the hearth room. I used to load up the wheelbarrow and park it outside the front door where I would transfer it to a canvas tote but now I just take the tote down to the shed and don't use the wheelbarrow at all. I've thought of using two totes at once to be better balanced.

LLigetfa said:
The wife won't let me drive the wheelbarrow through the front entry, down the hall, through the dining room, and into the hearth room. I used to load up the wheelbarrow and park it outside the front door where I would transfer it to a canvas tote but now I just take the tote down to the shed and don't use the wheelbarrow at all. I've thought of using two totes at once to be better balanced.

I just use old banana boxes from the food stores. Great way to recycle and they hold as much as I can carry. When they get tired I just throw them into the paper bin at the recycling center. Works for me. Be safe.
Ed

LLigetfa said:

She must go out sometime. :)

I have a nice enclosed canvas bag (very old, no idea of source) that catches all the dirt and bark, but found it easier to use 18 gallon rubbermaid grey tubs, wood stacked on end, then load acrosss the top also. Stack two or three in the back entry. move to stove as necessary. I don't transfer it to my woodbox anymore. Keep the wood box full of decorative stuff but load the stove direct from the rubbermaid tubs. The grey tubs also fit two high on a two wheeler, but that is harder work in the snow than just carrying the tubs in.

I take empty 55 gallon drums and cut them in half. I then cut handle holes in the sides. Kinda cheapo but I get the drums for free.

billb3 said:
LLigetfa said:

She must go out sometime. :)

(Mine went out never came back), I use a coaster wagon and drive it right up to the boiler 4 heaped wagon loads is pretty close to a face cord.

kevin j said:
I have a nice enclosed canvas bag (very old, no idea of source) that catches all the dirt and bark...
4057094318_1681493de6.jpg

Ditto to that, our canvas wood mover is older than dirt...but still functional.

Three words: Blue IKEA Bag.

Strong as

Status
Not open for further replies.