Making axes in 1960's Oakland, Maine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks for posting this--I enjoyed watching it.

Pretty cool video!

However, I didn't like that one guy - he looked like he had an axe to grind!

Cool video. Glad I watched it. The guy in the video has the same last name as me; Wood. It is a last name I come across once in a while here in CT, but not really common. But whenever I do, it seems like the persons relatives came from northern New England, or Canada. My grandfather came from Maine. Guess I’m not surprised to hear that name in Vermont.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lone_Gun
No hearing protection. My ears hurt just watching that...<>

25 minutes away . . . and five years before my time.

I think the Amish in Smyrna Mills are still making axes -- Snow and Nealley axes specifically . . . although I suspect they buy the ax heads all ready to go.

good find, thanks!

No hearing protection. My ears hurt just watching that...<>

Guy was finishing the blades on the grinding wheel with no eye protection either. That seemed like a bad idea considering what he was doing.

Great film.