Making it A Wood Burning Fireplace Again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcbart

Dec 8, 2010
Southeastern Pennsylvania
I purchased my home in 2007. It's about 50 years old and was built with a masonry fireplace. During my home inspection, it was determined that the original terracotta chimney was in bad shape, so I was reimbursed by the seller to install a stainless steel liner. My fireplace is on one side of the chimney and the forced hot air and water heater (both gas) are on the other side, both venting into the same chimney, or at least were until this work was completed.

The chimney company report says that "The fireplace can be sealed off at the damper area and would be compliant to install a vent free gas burning unit." It also says, "After the work in this estimate is completed it will provide and up to code liner system for the heater, but will eliminate the use of an open wood burning fireplace."

I had the work completed and the liner was installed. My fireplace is still just sitting there, not in use. My question is, can I run a separate liner to my fireplace and use it as wood burning? Prior to the work being completed, the previous owner stated he always used the fireplace (wood burning of course, as that'a what it is). If the report says that the fireplace is sealed off at the damper area, is there any way to reverse this to be able to burn wood again?

Pretty sure wood burning fireplaces can be the only thing to occupy a chimney.A fireplace insert may be an option? Wood burning fireplaces are a nice thing for ambiance but a bad heat source.

I'm confused. Are there two flues in this one chimney? What was the liner installed to service, the furnace and hw heater? What is the current status of the fireplace? Was the damper blocked off?

I have seen two fireplaces join into one flue before, but never a gas w/h boiler flue join in with a fireplace flue.

Go outside and get a good vantage point on your chimney, do you see two clay flues sticking up or just one? One should have a new cap on it to go along with the liner they installed for the gas appliances. You might have to go in the neighbors yard or across the street to get a good view. That reminds me, I need some binoculars in my truck for the hard to see ones. (I do this stuff all day).

If you can, post a full view pic of the chimney outside, the fireplace inside, and the chimney area in the mechanical room inside

It sounds like to me.... that the chimney is a shared flue. They installed the liner for the furnace, and blocked off the fireplace. In order to get the fireplace up and running a SECOND liner would need be installed, if that is even possible. If of course there is only one clay flue sticking up.

+1 to Ineferno..... Either get up there and take a look or get a good vantage point, and see if you have one or two clay flues.

Status
Not open for further replies.