Making the best of a situation.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GuinnessSteve

Nov 19, 2019
NH
This is a follow-up to a post I made a few weeks ago. Short version, I'm back at my parents' house after moving out ten years ago. We just swapped out their old Vigilant for a brand new Jotul F45.

So here's the thing. My dad did things...strangely. I've got the new stove in our unfinished basement on the pad my dad made for the Vigilant. Thinking he must have made a symmetrical hole in the concrete of the foundation for the stovepipe, I measured it as 8" top to bottom. I got a 6"-8" adapter, and 8" thimble. Silly me. The opening is anywhere from 7.25"-8" across. I'm thinking I can find a 6"-7" adapter and thimble, but I'll still have a gap around the edges. Is there a way I can stop air flowing around the pipe and up the chimney? Someone suggested gasket rope, but someone else I spoke to advised the pipe may get too hot for that, which I didn't understand.

Sorry if this sounds like a hot mess, but I'm trying to work with what I've got.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk