Man...This first year is getting really discouraging...Thinking of packing it in.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well hey since Pook has left some Maniac has to "say" something a little bit strange once in a while . . . I figured the school girl image would fit the bill nicely . . . and no, to tell the truth, I don't dress up as a schoolgirl with patent leather shoes . . . what I really do is dress up as a pirate with an eye patch and yell out "Shiver me Timbers!" when loading up the dry wood. ;)

This insert does have a learning curve. I had a hard time when I switched over and it a lot longer than I expected to get the hang of it - about a seasons worth of burning.

I kept at it and read a lot here.

Learned not to shut the door too soon.
To use 2 small rounds n/s as a base to rest larger e/w splits on. (Provides more air to circulate under load and mine needs a lot of air to get things going.)
To only start with 2-3 splits in the beginning - letting them get going and the mass of the insert to heat up before adding more splits to fill the firebox.
To not shut down air until temp. hits 500* and to do it in stages.
To re-load before it drops below 350*. (400* depending on weather conditions and coals and what my goals are.)
To wait to turn the blower on. (I usually let it get to 500* before turning it on.)

This is my 3rd season with it and I feel broken in by it now. (It knew what it was doing all along - it was me that didn't. ;-P ) I am still learning but feel much more confident than I did that first year.

Once you get the hang of it you are going to love it. Just give it time to teach you all of it's tricks. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.