Manometer reading too low

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martha11

Jan 19, 2015
Bremen, oh
Hi, new here. I am not super familiar with wood burning so i have visited these forums a lot getting info as needed. You all have a lot of great information on here that has been very helpful. thanks for that.

A daka wood furnace was given to us. I know, not very efficient. However, we got it installed with a barometric damper and just hooked up a manometer to it ( for some reason the pics are upside down. I am not sure why. Sorry about that) In the manual it says it should register between .04 and .08, however ours is only measuring at -.05. I do not know how to get it up or even what i am measuring. But, to me that appears to be a problem. Can anyone shed some light for me on this? Thanks!

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The barometric damper may be set wrong and admitting too much air. Also, the multiple 90s are not helping draft, especially if there is another 90 deg. turn in the chimney.

-.05" or .05" just depends which side the tube is inserted. I always read from the high side. So in other words your at .05" assuming you calibrated your manometer to 0. If the manual calls for .04-.08, your fine where your at. Insert it at the other tap in top for a better reading.

What laynes said.

If it is at zero with the tube unhooked from the fitting in the pipe (static), and goes to 0.05 when hooked up, you are likely good. But from how it sounds, you likely have the hose hooked to the wrong side of the tube (fitting on the manometer). If you switch to the other fitting, the fluid should go the right way. Can't tell from the pic for sure - I'm not picking out the fluid in it.

Keep in mind you want to compare/measure readings when there is a fire burning though.

Laynes, i have the tubing attached to the high port on the manometer. I just switched it to the low port and it now reads .05. Problem solved? Is it okay for it to be in the low port?

I do have a fire burning and there are a total of 3 90s.

Thanks!

Problem solved, as long as it was calibrated to zero like Maple said. It looks like the plastic tube is inserted into the flue. It isn't made to stay in there, it will melt. I took a piece of copper tubing to place into the flue, that way my manometer stays connected. I like it this way to monitor things.

Status
Not open for further replies.