Manometer Reading

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edrobyn

Dec 5, 2014
TN
Just bought a new monometer and was checking the reading. I have a damper on the flue and when I open the damper the reading goes well below zero but when I close the damper it goes to just below zero. I thought the reading would be above zero. What should I be looking for on the reading? I have a good draft.

Just switched the tube from the high side to the low side and the reading is now positive. I guess that is what I did wrong.

It should be a negative number you are talking about a vacum draft should always be a negative number

Reactions: Wisneaky
Don't worry about which way it is connected. If you have a draft, the direction, positive or negative, is the direction you need for a draft. What you care about are 2 things. You care about magnitude because it needs to be large enough to get a decent draft and small enough to avoid runaway conditions. The other thing you care about is a reversal. If pressure is reversed from what you saw with a draft, you now have a condition that will cause a back puff. In theory you want a negative number on your chimney but that assumes you have everything lined up to meet standard conventions. If you have it backward just read what you have and make sure you tell any sweep that it reads backward so they can interpret it correctly. Conventions are just that. They are conventions and in no way affect the real world.
Note: this assumes your sweep is smart enough to realize what a reversed connection really means.

Fiona, get your mind out of the gutter. :cool:

Oh lord... I don't think I was as deep in the gutter as that sounded...! Honest! ;em

Cat's out of the bag now. I want to know exactly how and what a manometer would test manhood. ;lol

Ooohhhh...I protest my innocence.. (She eyes the door nervously...)

OK... (And this is the God's honest truth, ok?)...

I meant that my first thought when I read the title of the thread was that a manometer was a joke term that guys used for any situation that would test/measure how much a guy was a 'he man', In terms of ability to fix things, lift heavy things.. and just generally growl about the place in a tough, rough and eminently capable way... Seemed possible in this stovey world.

I probably was thinking of several similar joke words, like 'mandle' (a scented candle apparently designed to appeal the male market) for instance...

I intended to share that momentary, humorous misunderstanding of mine with others here. I have unintentionally become the humorous misunderstanding. That'll teach me

Am I off the hook? Oohhhh...Hopefully that expression doesn't have lurid connotations across the pond!!

Oh help. Please delete these entries, I'm hijacking this thread vary badly.. _g;em;)

Thanks for the replies and the humorous comment. My stove does say that the maximum draw should be 0.05 so I am trying to keep it under that with the tube on the low side and having a positive reading. With a negative reading I guess the maximum draw would be -.05?

Thanks for the replies and the humorous comment. My stove does say that the maximum draw should be 0.05 so I am trying to keep it under that with the tube on the low side and having a positive reading. With a negative reading I guess the maximum draw would be -.05?

Yeah like said above it is a -.05" WC...common to drop the -

Status
Not open for further replies.