Mansfield and metal flue heat Info needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flame

Jan 16, 2008
Putnam, CT
Hello all,
What a great site! I have to say I have always wanted a soapstone wood stove since the day I saw one. Now the time is right for me to finally get one. In late February I should have a Mansfield in and working away. The last wood stove I had was at my house in MD back in the 90's. It was an older Timberline. I just loved to watch the fire through the screen and smell that oak a'burnin. The one thing was that it was in our basement. This made for a toasty temp. upstairs but in the basement it was a hot box. It would get so hot that one of the nearest lights would go out. Those memories and thoughts brought me to the soapstone. I plan on installing this one in my living room to enjoy with the hopes that it will have that "gentler heat". I have a Cape Cod with aprox 1850-1950 square feet (medium insulation). In a couple of days the installation guys are coming up to get me the installation quote and best location. I plan on having the metal flue installed inside the house going through the living room ceiling then run through our bedroom and finally through the roof. I am hoping someone can tell me if you get some extra heat from the metal flue being in your house (upstairs bedroom). I am not sure how well the heat from just the wood stove (not being extremely hot, ie cast iron) will move to our second floor. I also had seen something called Magic Heat. It is a type of heat exchanger that mounts between your flue pipes to give out heat where it is mounted. Does anyone know of this ? Any Mansfield Information would be helpful.

Just say NO to Magic Heat. Search other recent posts for reasons.

The pipe upstairs will be Class A and it should (I think by code) be enclosed in a "chase" structure. You will get some heat from it but not a lot. The pipe itself actually will benefit from being inside because it will stay warmer, and you will get a little better draft from that.

I have the Mansfield as well and I would have to agree - No to the Magic Heat. You won't need it with the amount of gentle heat that will be pumping out of 550 pounds of soapstone. I live in central MA as well and have an 1800 sf Cape that is kept very toasty. I actually have to block off the upstairs so it won't get too warm.

Thanks RedOak and jtp10181. I did some more research on other posts and now understand how the Magic Heat is not a good thing for your flue. It is encouraging to hear how well the house gets heated upstairs with the Mansfield. From the research I have been doing, it sounds like the only major bad feed back I have seen on the Mansfield owners is the ash clean out tray. I have read that it is too small and messy. Everyone seem to preffer just using a scoop to clean out the ash. These feed backs were a bit old. Does anyone know if they have since modified that ? Also do you recomend having the installer place a valve in the flue to close off or partially block the draft in case it is needed or is it better not to be installed and only install if I need it for overdraft or emregency shut down?

My stove was manufactured in late 2006 and the ash pan is completely useless. Every few days I empty the ashes through the door into a five gallon covered metal ash bucket. Keep the sliding grate closed and nothing will fall into the 1/2 cup capacity ash pan.
As far as the damper - I would install it just for peace of mind, it's nice knowing you have an E-brake if needed. I had an issue of not being able to hold a fire for any length of time and with the help of some great people on this forum found that I had excessive draft. Installing the damper and a probe stack thermometer gave me the tools I needed to properly regulate the fire and give me the burn times I needed. If you do a thread search on Hearthstone or soapstone stoves you will find a ton of information on how to get the best results from your stove. As a former twenty year veteran of Vermont Castings products I quickly realized that I knew nothing about burning wood in soapstone.......:)

Hey Red! How about posting some information on your burn times, temps., etc.?

This is my first season with the soapstone, so take what I post with a grain of salt. I am still fine tuning my technique and am trying to break many old habits like throwing wood into it every time I walked by like I used to do with the VC Defiant.

Initial reload when I get home will bring the stove up to 400 or so after about an hour while monitoring the stack temps - I have insanely good draft and have to keep an eye on the stack temp and regulate it with an in line damper. After the wood is good and charred I will crank everything down and let the secondary burn kick in, stove top temps will be 450-500 depending on the wood and the stack will run about 600. Reload once before I go to bed (10:30) let that load settle in and shut it down for the long burn. When I get up (4:30) the stove top will be down around 200 and I will just toss a few splits on the nice deep coal bed - get that going and the wife will load once more before she leaves for work at 7:30. House temp will be in the low 70's when I get up depending on how cold it got that night - usually no problem until it gets well below zero and windy.

As I said, still fine tuning my technique. I must be doing a few things right, I haven't needed kindling since October and my propane bill for December was $67

I also opted to go for the blower - this has helped move the air around along with the ceiling fans as I have high ceilings and a very open floor plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.