manual labor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyper

Jan 5, 2010
Deep South
So far I've split all my wood with a maul and a thick wedge -- it's the kind that has "flares" at the thick end.

Anyway, it works, and it's cheap, and I don't need that much wood. But some big pieces are really hard to split.

I saw a picture of a splitter that is an iron column with a wedge that you pound with a sledge. Where do you buy something like that? I've also conceived of a splitter along similar lines that would work by pushing the wedge with a pneumatic jack. Does such a thing exist?

I would stay away from those iron column ones. The pneumatic jack splitters can be found at Northern tool or harbor freight. I have not used one so I can't comment on that.

There's no way the wife will go for spending $1000 on a real log splitter, so my alternatives are to mulch the large pieces or find a way to split them that costs substantially less than 1 large.

We have a local rental place that has a splitter that goes by the name "splitfire". Powered by a Honda motor, has a double acting splitter so it splits in both directions. I can get it for a full day which means picking it up early, running it hard all day and into the evening and back the next morning for about 75 dollars. With a couple of friends the spliting and stacking goes like crazy. I do not have to purchase or maintain an incredible piece of equipment. Are we tired after a session like this? You bet. I did the math and t made way more sense for me to rent the unit than to tie up 1000 dollars in an entry level unit.

Might be worth looking into.

lowroadacres said:
We have a local rental place that has a splitter that goes by the name "splitfire". Powered by a Honda motor, has a double acting splitter so it splits in both directions. I can get it for a full day which means picking it up early, running it hard all day and into the evening and back the next morning for about 75 dollars. With a couple of friends the spliting and stacking goes like crazy. I do not have to purchase or maintain an incredible piece of equipment. Are we tired after a session like this? You bet. I did the math and t made way more sense for me to rent the unit than to tie up 1000 dollars in an entry level unit.

Might be worth looking into.

Thanks, but I don't think I have any friends like yours. For $75 I can get a truck load of wood, which is enough probably for a whole winter.

But if I ever end up with a lot of large un-split pieces I'll keep your idea in mind and find out how much it would be to rent a splitter.

If I could get a cheap manual splitter I'll go for it, otherwise I'll just ignore anything I can't split with a wedge.

Sorry. I didn't read closely enough to see that you are only burning a small amount of wood. In our previous drafty old farmhouse we were screaming through 9-12 cords of wood and at times using coal in the same multi-fuel furnace. We are working on getting a woodstove into our newer home and we are estimating 4-6 cords of wood with a stove.

This morning our thermometer is reading minus 16 celsius which is positively balmy for January in our area. As a matter of principal I still utilize our splitting maul and I keep a sledge and wedge by the pile to be safe.

pyper said:
For $75 I can get a truck load of wood, which is enough probably for a whole winter.

Problem solved :lol:

Really though, if you are using such a small amount of wood, simply cherry pick. Meaning, don't take any tough stuff home.

pyper said:
So far I've split all my wood with a maul and a thick wedge -- it's the kind that has "flares" at the thick end.

Anyway, it works, and it's cheap, and I don't need that much wood. But some big pieces are really hard to split.

I saw a picture of a splitter that is an iron column with a wedge that you pound with a sledge. Where do you buy something like that? I've also conceived of a splitter along similar lines that would work by pushing the wedge with a pneumatic jack. Does such a thing exist?

Yes, they exist but if you have ever used a jack you will understand just how slow this could be. Methinks it would be so slow as to not be worth much.

pyper said:

My neighbor has one of those pneumatic, hand-pumped log splitters that he got from a surplus store for about $100. It is exhausting and takes forever. If the pieces of wood aren't too big, you can use an electric splittler. I got mine (Ryobi) for $300 at HD. It does the trick, but I wouldn't want to be splitting large logs with it.

Sounds like an electric spltter may be the right tool for your burning needs. Lowes sell one for $250 and I have abused it pretty good for the last 1.5 years (about 13 cords) pine oak gum maple cherry it's seen it all and if used properly you can split all but the really knarly stuff.

Have you tried splitting the large rounds by first taking a slice off of the side, instead of trying to go right through the middle? Often I find that once a piece comes off, the next ones go a lot easier. Really tough, large rounds you could start by cutting vertically with a chainsaw (you didn't mention if you have one) then splitting. if that doesn't work, leave the tough stuff and find easier wood to process. I can't see buying a splitter if you are able to swing a maul and need only a modest amount of wood each year. maybe a good choice would be something like a Fiskars Super Splitter - lighter than a maul so it is easier to swing, but everyone says it really gets the job done. At about $50 a Fiskars is a lot more affordable than the cheapest splitter, and easier to store in the shed.

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm going to look into the Fiskars. That sounds like a decent tool that would fit my needs. It seems like every product that company makes is first rate.

I do have a small Husqvarna chainsaw. I need one when we have ice storms -- could get trapped on our property if a tree fell across the driveway :lol:

Wood Duck said:
Have you tried splitting the large rounds by first taking a slice off of the side, instead of trying to go right through the middle? Often I find that once a piece comes off, the next ones go a lot easier. Really tough, large rounds you could start by cutting vertically with a chainsaw (you didn't mention if you have one) then splitting. if that doesn't work, leave the tough stuff and find easier wood to process. I can't see buying a splitter if you are able to swing a maul and need only a modest amount of wood each year. maybe a good choice would be something like a Fiskars Super Splitter - lighter than a maul so it is easier to swing, but everyone says it really gets the job done. At about $50 a Fiskars is a lot more affordable than the cheapest splitter, and easier to store in the shed.

Yup. Easy splittin wood like non-crotch oak, just have attem.

But getting into the elms and twisted grain stuff, it's best to work the circimference, peeling away at the round, then going in for the kill after some of the stuff around the edges has been whacked away.

Halving and quartering with a saw's good too. Makin' noodles is a lot of fun, but the curleys can plug up your clutch.

I do anywhere between 6 to 18 cords a year for self and a few customers. Don't own a splitter.

pyper said:
I'm going to look into the Fiskars. That sounds like a decent tool that would fit my needs.

Rumor has it that all you have to do is waive a Fiskars close to the log and it will split into stove size pieces just from fear alone.

CrawfordCentury said:
I do anywhere between 6 to 18 cords a year for self and a few customers. Don't own a splitter.

Wow! I'm seriously impressed.

I stopped whacking with an axe and have several wedges and a maul.
Anything too gnarly to split or is just too much work goes in a pile which ends up at my brother's who has a splitter and also an outdoor pit for anything that might bend the splitter. Sometimes I even take an armload of split stuff back with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.