Maple & Cherry Spit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
The first half of the day I had some appointments but I did get to split the maple & cherry which I plan on stacking on Sunday.

I still have just over cord of cherry that needs splitting.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4570-1.jpg
    100_4570-1.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 344
  • 100_4571-1.jpg
    100_4571-1.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 348
  • 100_4572-1.jpg
    100_4572-1.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 353
We must be on the same schedule! Looks good - I'm hoping to split a little more tomorrow - supposed to be a great day (sunny and cold). Cheers!

Zap how much property do you have? Seems like you own the adirondacks!!

Zap, with all the posts and pictures (thanks - good stuff), you must have dozens of cords either staged for processing or ready or drying... Care to give an estimate of your collection in cords? Must be alot...

I'm not sure on the cord count but with what we have in the woods & stacked I'm cutting for 2016-17. Next years shoulder season wood is cut, over two cord, so all I need to do is cut some shoulder season wood for each year.

I also want to cut another 2 cord of wood before we start milling again so we replace what we will use this year.

My guess on how much we have stacked is 18 - 22 true cord.

zap

Zap is a good worker for sure.

NH_Wood said:
We must be on the same schedule!
Yep. I just cut a couple of 18" blown-down Cherry this week. I'm keeping one and giving the other to family. I'm hoping that this earlier start will get it a bit dryer this year. Stuff I'm burning now is a little slow taking off...was stacked late in July. It hisses a little and sometimes will show a small wet spot on the end of a split.

zapny said:
all I need to do is cut some shoulder season wood for each year.
Zap, are you using the Cherry for shoulder wood? My Cherry supply has gone down quite a bit since it is still shoulder season here. :-S

No, we usually have over three cord of cherry per year we heat with. This was the first year I had shoulder season wood ready so the Cherry is what we usually burn, the sugar maple & beech are for the colder months or overnight burns.

This is the Beech ready for next year.

zap

Attachments

• 100_0468-1.jpg
    100_0468-1.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 312
Looks good Zap...I see by that first pic you've been to the "University of Sav" for your degree on wood splitting.

Thanks Locust Post, when it was warm out I left the splitter in the vertical position (covered) then we received a chit load of rain & cold, I spent about twenty minutes chipping that out today so I guess maybe I should just split horizontal.

zap

zapny said:

I'm not buyin those are your stacks Zap.

SolarAndWood said:
zapny said:

I'm not buyin those are your stacks Zap.

That was after I split them, been up with t-post :coolsmile: since that summer.

zap

zapny said:
Thanks Locust Post, when it was warm out I left the splitter in the vertical position (covered) then we received a chit load of rain & cold, I spent about twenty minutes chipping that out today so I guess maybe I should just split horizontal.

zap

Horizontal is for storing the splitter. Vertical is for when you want to split wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.