Marble hearth, should it stay or should it go?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ralphscats

Sep 26, 2017
Ohio, United States
I currently have a Breckwell pellet stove that is sitting on a piece of marble. I am going to be purchasing a Napolean 1402 insert. The slab marble slab was there when we purchased the home. There was also laminate flooring. We have not used the pellet stove for several years. We have since taken out the laminate and installed carpet. We are on a cement slab. I know we need to extend the hearth, but I'm not sure what is the best way to go about doing it. I think it will be fairly difficult to get the marble slab up without destroying it or the slab underneath it. Can I put some type of border around the slab to extend the hearth? Would it be easier to build up the area that needs extended to the same level as the marble and then cover it with sometime g such as a hearty pad? Will that meet code?
I'm sorry for the newbie questions. I know everyone on here has far more knowledge and experience Dr than I do and I appreciate any input or suggestions.

On cement floor it could be ok with just an extension. The extension could be a border of thick tile or black granite or other stone. If you can post a picture we can look to see if there are any other issues.

IMG_3400.PNG

This is the insert that will be coming out. I was really hoping to be able to just cover the marble and carpet up with a hearth pad or something, but I don't know if that would fit code. If I have to cut and pull up some of the carpet, does it need bound or taped, or should I call the carpet installer? Sorry for the questions, I don't know much about what is correct. Thank you so much for your help!

On cement floor it could be ok with just an extension. The extension could be a border of thick tile or black granite or other stone. If you can post a picture we can look to see if there are any other issues.

The carpet will need to be cut back for the hearth extension. It doesn't need to be bound or taped.

The carpet will need to be cut back for the hearth extension. It doesn't need to be bound or taped.

Thank you. Do you have any suggestions of what to use as an extension? I really don't like the marble, so I have no objection to building up the floor to the top of the marble and then putting something over everything. I just want to know what is code so I know if something is being done wrong with the project. I had a "professional" install the Breckwell pellet stove. They hooked up that thermostat that is sitting next to the unit. They hooked up a Heat N Glo thermostat. I thought it looked odd, but I didn't know enough to speak up when it was done.

Whatever is done it must be non-combustible. The marble is fine, but if you want to remove it and replace it with something else, that's ok too. Tile, stone, brick would all work as long as they are laid with thinset and not glue.

If you put a material on top of the marble I am not sure what would be needed to get a good bond. Maybe thinset would work. The fireplace floor may also need to be built up to raise the stove up to the built up hearth height. Cement board can be used to do this.

Whatever is done it must be non-combustible. The marble is fine, but if you want to remove it and replace it with something else, that's ok too. Tile, stone, brick would all work as long as they are laid with thinset and not glue.

If you put a material on top of the marble I am not sure what would be needed to get a good bond. Maybe thinset would work. The fireplace floor may also need to be built up to raise the stove up to the built up hearth height. Cement board can be used to do this.

Thank you for your help!!

The new insert will not protrude out as far as the old one, keep that in mind when figuring the extension. You may not need much if any at all, hard to tell in the photo.