Market rates for cordwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Just noticed this one on craigslist:

firewood - $350 (molalla)​

condition: like new
douglas fir fire wood
350 per cord

Pretty steep for Doug Fir. This is a rural area in Oregn, not in the heart of a city.

Asking and getting are two different things.

Some guys price it right and sell out. Others sit on it all year.

I figure between the gas for the chainsaw, fuel for the tractor, and gas for the splitter (if I split everything with the splitter and none by hand) that I have a gallon of fuel into each face cord (1/3 cord) of wood. So the difference between 3$ a fuel and 5$ a gallon is still just dollars per cord. Like you could raise the price by 5$ a face cord and easily cover fuel.
And oil for the chainsaw bar, tractor, and splitter hasn’t gone up that much either. When you divide it up into many cords it’s a small difference

Yes if you’re delivering it might add some cost to it. But most people around here charge for delivery, so it’s a separate charge that you can see. And as long as they aren’t delivering it like 50 miles away that shouldn’t add that much the fuel used anyways.

If you have a truck that gets 10 mpg and you deliver 10 miles away, that uses 2 gallons for a round trip. If gas is 3$ versus 5$ that’s a 4$ difference round trip.
I read your comments on this inflation issue and wonder how you view it now? We are up minimum of 40% for per hour wages in our area. So a $200/cord in 2020 now runs about $280-$300 in southwest Ohio. Non stacked, green, split to 10lbs (when dry) and smaller.

I read your comments on this inflation issue and wonder how you view it now? We are up minimum of 40% for per hour wages in our area. So a $200/cord in 2020 now runs about $280-$300 in southwest Ohio. Non stacked, green, split to 10lbs (when dry) and smaller.
Man, wages up 40%? Where at, are they hiring?

Just curious we moved out there last May and I still work there every other week. If you are taking it that deep for cord wood I should hook you up.

ETA
OK this is a cord price thread so I had to check.
Friend of mine owns a tree service sells wood off season. North Dayton, full cord not wet, not "seasoned" but checked under 20 MC. Mixed wood ash to maple.

Screenshot_20240111-143706.png

Last edited:
Wood prices really haven’t changed around my area for 10+ years. You can get green cords for $120 in the spring/summer. Then the price goes up to $165 in the fall. Many sellers have “seasoned” wood for $185 a cord around that time.

The only opportunity I see to make more than that is if you have truly seasoned wood in Jan/Feb.

Also if you’re willing to deliver into the bigger cities that are north and south of me you can get more money. But we’re talking 50 mile round trips.

I sold a bit of 1 year seasoned ash last fall for $55 picked up or $65 delivered within 10 miles of me. I’m working on more covered storage now so I can keep wood for longer and get those Jan/Feb higher prices.

My wife just told me yesterday that if I build her another chicken coop I can build myself another woodshed ;lol

Down here I'm told you can't give wood away unless you stack it for em lol. I've seen a couple of wood lots but haven't stopped. I just cut off the property

Still $325 delivered near me. Got a retired guy delivering at $250 when he can.

You can't give wood away around here, still $65 for a pickup load. A cord around here is used for electricity, stension cords.
40% wage increase might be for new hires in places where they had to offer $11 or more to get someone that could fog a mirror. The people that had a job saw little or no wage increase.

Reactions: Pinesmoke
The McDonald’s in town was hiring at $16.50 an hour recently….

That’s probably better pay than selling firewood at $55 a face cord.

Reactions: wetwood4life
Green wood is about $250 a cord + delivery around here. "Seasoned" $350-400 + delivery and will be luck of the draw what part of the giant pile you got. I guarantee I could get $600+ a cord for my 3+ year old bone dry red oak. Even at that price though it's not worth selling, it has more value as BTUs for my house.

You can start at $18-20 an hour at Dunkin Donuts or most entry level warehouse jobs around here. You'd be better off doing that than selling firewood. Most guys that sell are tree services or farmers that need to get rid of the wood anyways and do it as a side job.

Edit - I'm talking hardwoods btw. 90% of what you buy will be oak and maple. Nobody sells pine firewood around here. I can get a whole 5 cord log truck if pine just tipping a guy $50 if I wanted it. Perk of living in a deciduous region.

Same seller that sells the hardwood near me sells pine for $200 a cord.

Same seller that sells the hardwood near me sells pine for $200 a cord.
Massachusetts is an interesting place. East/West of Worcester may as well be two completely different states on so many things. Firewood included.