Market rates for cordwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I’m in southwest Ohio and last night I was looking and people are asking $150+ per Rick 😳. Can’t buy a cord because nobody knows what a “cord” of wood is🙄
That’s the truth!

Gas prices have went up, but that doesn’t at all correlate with these stupid prices we’re seeing. I mean, they’re absolutely not using that much additional gas to process the wood.

What they are doing is trying to get that much more in their labor charge and I’m sorry, but that charge hasn’t gone up that much to justify what they are trying to charge. It’s simply trying to take advantage of the times. Same with coal prices doubling+.

Not knowing what a cord is…yep…they calculate cubic feet for dump trailer and/or dump truck…then proceed to load them with a loader…they heap it full and it still doesn’t add up to what you ordered. They are two sorry to stack it in their truck, not all of them, so the customer can see what he’s getting…even if he doesn’t pay the charge for stacking on his property. We always stacked our trucks so the customer could see what he paid for and if customer wanted it stacked we did that too. Often we got tips too. We never charged for stacking fir the customer back then, but I don’t disagree with someone wanting to charge for stacking at the customers place. Nothing wrong with that, we just never charged. Tips always made it work out fair for both.

But this business of not stacking in the truck, dumping and leaving right away and most often shorting the customers is a bunch of crap.

128cubic feet stacked fairly tight…that’s a cord.

Then again, it’s as much the customers fault as anyone’s for letting firewood dealers get by with it.

Reactions: logfarmer
I’ve been using canola oil for bar oil in my chainsaw for about a year now. I don’t think the price of cooking oil has gone up as much as Dino oils.

And the price for chains has gone up a few bucks, but not too bad. I use Oregon 72EXL72G on my saw. They’re 16.41$ per loop on Amazon.
I can usually make a chain last a year.

I remember as a kid my dad would sometimes buy firewood from this guy. He had a F250 and would stack the wood in the back of the truck. I think it held 2 face cords with side rails on the bed.

But I always thought it was nice that he stacked it in the bed so we could see how much he had.

Reactions: Hoytman
There is demand issues, take my parents for example, they have an insert that can carry about 80% of the house through 15deg f weather, normally they burn on the weekends, or if there is a big snow and they're not doing anything, so my dad has been sitting on splits that are 5 years old and takes as needed.
This year they're talking about going back to more of a full time burning schedule to offset home heating costs, he has enough wood now, but next season he'll either have to buy 3.5-4 cords of splits, or a log load and we'll get it done in a few weeks on our spare time, either way thats potentially a new customer for a firewood guy.

A forum member here local to me text me the other night saying he’s seeing price increases of $150-$400 a rick … 16”x4’x8’.

Yes delivery has to be figured in, but ladies and gentlemen you can’t make up enough excuses to justify those prices for a simple single rick of wood. It’s simple price gouging.

If they can live with it, so can I, but they won’t be getting my business anytime soon nor a recommendation to others.

$150 for a rick maybe, but then after that the gas, and other price increases, a tire, are paid for.

400$ for a face cord? Must be on the Facebook
That’s what the forum member here told me…local prices he was seeing near us. Face cord=Rick … whatever ever you want to call it.

That’s why I posted saying there’s no way to justify those prices. Outrageous isn’t it.

Man I wish I could get even 100$ per face cord here.

I haven’t seen the prices go up here yet. I just checked my local FBM, and most firewood is listed for between 45$ and 65$ a face cord. A few are more expensive, but they’re closer to a bigger city.

Just paid $320 for a (face) cord of kiln-dried seasoned Oak (price includes delivery and stacking). This is in Minnesota (Twin Cities metro area). This is roughly the same price it costs from a few other sellers I checked out.

Cheapest I found was $220 for a face cord but that was from one of those Facebook sellers who will likely short the amount of wood and it won’t actually be seasoned at all.

Edited to add: We have an open fireplace and just use it for some ambience (instead of actually heating up the house).

Last edited:
I was quoted $1200 for a truck that had more than 3 full cords seasoned 1 year and split hardwood. That price was delivery included.

Just paid $320 for a (face) cord of seasoned Oak (price includes delivery). This is in Minnesota (Twin Cities metro area). This is roughly the same price it costs from a few other sellers I checked out.

Cheapest I found was $220 for a face cord but that was from one of those Facebook sellers who will likely short the amount of wood and it won’t actually be seasoned at all.

Edited to add: We have an open fireplace and just use it for some ambience (instead of actually heating up the house).

Wow, that's insane! That's like $1000 a cord! Oil is cheaper.

I'm about 20 miles outside of Pittsburgh and towards the city it seems a cord is 250-350, some delivered. Headed away from town, I see a cord of maple for 180 and a lot of other mixed hardwoods at 200-250 a cord, pickup price.

Lots of ads for 6' bed at 70 or 75 picked up and about 100 for an 8' bed.

Long Island...

$150-$220 for a "seasoned" pallet which is likely a face cord. Most of these are sitting outside of landscaping companies or mason suppliers that also happen to sell firewood. True cords from big "dealers" that I've researched are anywhere from $300 - $700 delivered depending on what you get. One seller around here has "semi-seasoned", "seasoned", and then kiln dried obviously at the upper range.

I just wound up stacking a cord from my father-in-law of some relatively wet oak. However, I may have to buy a seasoned pallet from somewhere just to get some drier wood mixed in.

Local place from December selling this for $250.

FDC8B7C7-CB7C-4AA4-96F3-A1BD9B304A1B.jpeg

Last edited:
Long Island...

$150-$220 for a "seasoned" pallet which is likely a face cord. Most of these are sitting outside of landscaping companies or mason suppliers that also happen to sell firewood. True cords from big "dealers" that I've researched are anywhere from $300 - $700 delivered depending on what you get. One seller around here has "semi-seasoned", "seasoned", and then kiln dried obviously at the upper range.

I just wound up stacking a cord from my father-in-law of some relatively wet oak. However, I may have to buy a seasoned pallet from somewhere just to get some drier wood mixed in.

I live on LI and there are plenty of dealers selling cords of "seasoned" wood for $200-$250.

Reactions: stoveliker
Reactions: Marconis
I wonder what I could get out of my 3 cords that’s been cut, split, stacked off the ground and top covered for the last 4 years? Is that seasoned enough? LOL!

Mind private messaging me and giving me some names? It’ll be good to know!

They advertise on craigslist so I have no problem posting them here, I mainly use this guy 5163695990, been buying from him for years, I have also used this guy 6314661806, he has great prices on green wood but you have to pick it up in Northport.

That’s the truth!

Gas prices have went up, but that doesn’t at all correlate with these stupid prices we’re seeing. I mean, they’re absolutely not using that much additional gas to process the wood.

What they are doing is trying to get that much more in their labor charge and I’m sorry, but that charge hasn’t gone up that much to justify what they are trying to charge. It’s simply trying to take advantage of the times. Same with coal prices doubling+.

Not knowing what a cord is…yep…they calculate cubic feet for dump trailer and/or dump truck…then proceed to load them with a loader…they heap it full and it still doesn’t add up to what you ordered. They are two sorry to stack it in their truck, not all of them, so the customer can see what he’s getting…even if he doesn’t pay the charge for stacking on his property. We always stacked our trucks so the customer could see what he paid for and if customer wanted it stacked we did that too. Often we got tips too. We never charged for stacking fir the customer back then, but I don’t disagree with someone wanting to charge for stacking at the customers place. Nothing wrong with that, we just never charged. Tips always made it work out fair for both.

But this business of not stacking in the truck, dumping and leaving right away and most often shorting the customers is a bunch of crap.

128cubic feet stacked fairly tight…that’s a cord.

Then again, it’s as much the customers fault as anyone’s for letting firewood dealers get by with it.
Well said👏