Mason dump truck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Do you guys think a mason dump truck can hold a cord of wood?
I just spoke to a guy that has unseasoned wood for 130 per cord. He says he delivers it in a mason dump truck. I think a mason dump truck is too small for a cord. What do you guys think?

Thats what all the dealers around here deliver in. Usually have high side panels on the truck.

my wood guys brings a cord in a mason dump, wooden side panels. I never stacked it neatly though, so I don't know if I got shorted - but upon my best estimate it did look pretty close to a cord if not a little over.

Yes the body on the truck is 6'.6" x 8' and if there is a 3' pile in the center of the bed you have a cord . Fire wood is very deceiving and the only way to know is buy stacking it . I stack 4x4x4 pallets of wood and people always tell me I'm shorting them but when they stack it they see there cord + a bit more . John

wellbuilt home said:
I stack 4x4x4 pallets of wood and people always tell me I'm shorting them but when they stack it they see there cord + a bit more . John
Huh? That only adds up to half a cord.

It's hard to calculate how many cu ft of loose tossed wood equals a true cord. Purveyors of firewood over at arboristsite say between 180 and 220 cu ft loose tossed to a cord.

EatenByLimestone said:
Maybe he stacks 2 of them?

Matt
bingo 2 pallets to a cord . I stack my wood on pallets as we split it and i can stack 2 pallets height . I sell ether 11/2 cord or 21/2 or 4 cord . It gos but the volume of the truck or dump trailer or both I hate to ride lite . Buy hand stacking the wood is measured exactly 4x4x4 and very tight . I can load 4 cord in a few minutes . sorry for the confusion I don't want to get you guys paranoid. John

Just an FYI Pallets are not 4'x4' they are usually either 48"x40"x2= 112cu' or 48"x36"x2 =96cu'
I know it's splitting hairs but if you're buying wood and you're using pallets make sure you know what size pallets you're using. That small amount can add up to a lot of wood later.

Bubbavh said:
Just an FYI Pallets are not 4'x4' they are usually either 48"x40"x2= 112cu' or 48"x36"x2 =96cu'
I know it's splitting hairs but if you're buying wood and you're using pallets make sure you know what size pallets you're using. That small amount can add up to a lot of wood later.

Yes some of the pallets are small but i drop a pallet into a form that is 4x4x4 and use a plastic mesh like a heavy duty christmas tree bag to stack in when the box is full and heaping we tie the top of the bag, unfold the sides of the form and drive off with neat stack of wood into the yard . I get a big roll of bags for 30 bucks . If we are selling wood off the piles we fill the 4x4x4 boxes and just dump them into the truck . I think my loads are about 140 Cub foot . John

I am still trying to figure out what a Mason dump truck is!

Bubbavh said:

Actually, 48X48 is a very common size nothing like the GMA pallet, but still very plentiful and usually a sturdy pallet. We used to have to use these pallets to stack our bigger bags on and now they become my kindling.

Elderthewelder said:
I am still trying to figure out what a Mason dump truck is!

Whew,I guess I'm not the only one. Thanks for the question and thanks Stockdoct for the link!.

Jay

If it doesn't have an 8' bed with a STACKED rear tier and a mounded center top with minimum 3'+ sideboards I'd pass. There are TOO many guys out to make a quick buck selling what they think is a a cord of wood, but they don't have a clue.

Try to find somebody that's been doing it for a long time. You may pay $25 bucks more for a cord, but at least you'll get a full cord IMHO.

I bought wood from a friend who uses his mason dump with about 4' sides to deliver. The bed is 7'x9'x4' or 252 cubic feet. A cord is 128 cubic feet. Heaped a little and packed tightly, there could be two cords in there. Pretty heavy for a 1 ton though. He delivered 3 cords to me and stacked, it was darn near 4x4x24.

Status
Not open for further replies.