Massive Old chunks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODBUTCHER

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
The Oslo was real easy to pack tonight right up to the tubes, but this required both hands. Two massive slabs of hickory that I heppened to pull from my pile this afternoon.
Only a few weeks left here in CT and my 24/7 burning will be a thing of the past and it's time to use the stove "just to take the chill off." Man....I am tired of bringing wood into the house!

WB

Attachments

• WB_Slabs.jpg
    WB_Slabs.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 696
I'm not tired yet, I like the heat too much and have at least a month of burning left. Bad thing is my wood pile is getting pretty tired this year.

WOODBUTCHER said:
The Oslo was real easy to pack tonight right up to the tubes, but this required both hands. Two massive slabs of hickory that I heppened to pull from my pile this afternoon.
Only a few weeks left here in CT and my 24/7 burning will be a thing of the past and it's time to use the stove "just to take the chill off." Man....I am tired of bringing wood into the house!

WB

I hear what you're saying! I thought we were coming close to spring then bam another snow/ice storm comes along!! Last night it got down to 9 degrees... This weekend they are predicting high temps around 50 so there is light at the end of the tunnel.. Nice fire pic too..

Stay Warm,
Ray

That hickory is like burning concrete, it just keeps going! Good stuff!

We never get tired of bringing in wood. We've done it for so long it isn't hardly a thought. Still, it does seem nice when we can finally go without a night fire...come May or June. Yes, methinks we'll be burning a lot of wood yet this season. Officially spring is only a little over two weeks away now (two weeks from Friday), but that does not signal the stopping of the heating season for sure. It only means you can let the stove rest during the afternoon.

We're burning the big chunks for the overnighters. Still trying to get through the cottonwood. Like Savage, we expect to go through May and into June with smaller fires.

It has been above freezing at night now this last week and I am now an after-work and evening fire burner. The house carries enough heat to make it through the day.

Bringing in wood is almost pleasant when using the harbor freight wood cart. My kid hops in the empty cart for the ride back to the wood stack.

As i think I noted in another thread, I really just cannot wait til tomorrow or friday when I can let the Castine rest for a while and get down to just the olympic. 2 stoves is a bit more of work than 1 but it sure is nice when the electric bill rolls in.

I love doing the wood shuffle but it does free up some time for other stuff when the season is over. I expect to be burning right into April for sure...here's to hoping the wood pile holds out that long.

Highbeam, we've considered one of those carts too. Looks like it would make easy work of things, even going up a couple of steps.

I love finding the big chunks in the pile when you are looking at a cold night! You know there will be a hot stove still in the morning.

Spring may be two weeks away here but the ice won't go out of the lake until the first week of April, and I don't want to hear the furnace run any more than I can help. :)

Poult

Backwoods Savage said:
Highbeam, we've considered one of those carts too. Looks like it would make easy work of things, even going up a couple of steps.

I stack the HF cart way to the top and drag it about 50 feet across grass and up two steps into the house. The large diameter (bicycle size) wheels make it easy to go up steps and they are skinny enough to not cause much rolling resistance. The width is just right for getting through doors while still allowing long splits.

If I didn't have that cart I would be using the wheelbarrow and that would make those steps tough. I can hold two full days worth of cottonwood in one cart load.

Backwoods Savage said:

We use a large cart to move wood from the woodshed to the porch wood box. Conveniently, one very full cartload = one box full.

http://www.cartsvermont.com/

Highbeam said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I stack the HF cart way to the top and drag it about 50 feet across grass and up two steps into the house. The large diameter (bicycle size) wheels make it easy to go up steps and they are skinny enough to not cause much rolling resistance. The width is just right for getting through doors while still allowing long splits.

If I didn't have that cart I would be using the wheelbarrow and that would make those steps tough. I can hold two full days worth of cottonwood in one cart load.

Yes, there is a couple things to add to the WB list, one of those carts and a new woodrack with a roof (man I hate tarps)
But right now I can't wait till saturday gonna be 60 out and we get to turn the clocks ahead.

WB

BeGreen, I think you mean the Garden Way Cart and that is exactly what I've used for years, but I have been thinking of the other type just because it would allow me to go up the 3 steps on the porch. I think they are both winners.

Ours is some local derivation of the gardenway I think. It looks like the large model at Vermont carts. We got it at True Value about a decade ago. The name is so faded that I can no longer read it. I'm just glad I got the biggest one they had. There's 10 steps up on our porch, so we just carry the wood up the steps to the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.