Matrix Insert Overdraft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ncstar126

Aug 21, 2023
PA

I am used to my Regency Cat where I can turn the thing damn near off with the draft control. This is not too long after a reload and has been on the lowest draft setting for a good bit.

Is this typical of a Osburn / Non Cat stove? I am worried it is going to overfire.

I have a pretty short chimney.

IMG_4275.jpg

There's a bit of discoloration here at the bottom. Maybe a leaky gasket? I will have to figure out a good test as the door is recessed.

A piece of folded up paper can be pulled through the gasket fairly easy, but, I've never done a gasket test to know what resistance there should be. The Osburn Manual has a procedure for adjusting the door tension but it is not that clear. It mentions both washers and spacers. The diagram is not very clear. I only have one washer and possibly one spacer.

I was able to get the door tight enough that the paper was too difficult to pull out (new manual had new instructions!). Lit the fire. Similar results as before.

I held some smoldering paper outside the door and it appears to be intaking through the gasket. Since the door is recessed it's hard to see. I guess I will wait for the fire to die and see if I can get it any tighter. If it is too tight the door won't latch. And none of my wrenches are small enough to fit in there properly. At least I have an idea of what may be wrong.

Well, the screw that mounts the door handle receiver is now stripped. Hopefully the screw was the issue or this is going to be a major PITA.

Ugh took the whole receiver off and the bolt hole on the frame is clearly stripped. No idea what to do about that.

I am used to my Regency Cat where I can turn the thing damn near off with the draft control. This is not too long after a reload and has been on the lowest draft setting for a good bit.

Is this typical of a Osburn / Non Cat stove? I am worried it is going to overfire.

I have a pretty short chimney.

Following with interest, have an Osburn 950 and having similar issue

I'm dead in the water til the door is fixed. The shop who did the install is going to come out on Monday and see what they can do. I am hoping they have some ideas. I am not much of a metal worker.

It really did seem like getting the door tighter might be the trick but I hesitate to recommend making a door adjustment after this! Did you do a dollar bill test to check your gasket tightness?

So, pretty sure I figured out what happened with the bolt. I am no mechanical engineer but it appears that the spacers in the receiver assembly are not thick enough or the handle angle adjustment bolts are too long.

Basically the handle angle adjustment bolts only are intended to glue together the receiver assembly and they do not bolt to the frame. The receiver depth bolts are the ones that bolt to the frame. The angle adjustment bolts are longer than the receiver assembly and when they are fully tightened they push against the frame. This pulls on the depth adjustment bolts and creates the threading issue.

The spacing is so bad that the angle adjustment bolts have cut into the frame.

Considering I used a tiny wrench to make adjustments and there was no crazy resistance I am guessing the threads were stripped during assembly at the manufacturer.

Not my area of expertise but it seems like the way to fix this would be
- remove insert
- tap and die new bolt holes on the frame top and bottom, assuming allowed
- all 4 parts of the receiver assembly would need machined, or custom made for the new bolt size
- proper bolts or custom spacers to avoid the counter-force that created the issue

Once all that is done correctly, it would be back to trying to solve the excess air draft issue.

What a pain in the arse. I wonder what SBI will have to say about all this.

The shop I bought the matrix from came and has been working with their distributor to come to some resolution since my last post. Haven't heard anything yet but hoping to get an update from them this week.

Sucks as the beginning of the heating season I had a tank of oil needing to be burned and now with this I am likely to miss the whole wood heating season! I'm also nervous that even with the door fixed, the air issue will persist.

Well, the shop graciously installed a brand new unit. The OG draft problem is completely gone. The draft is very controllable at this point.

Unfortunately, my next challenge is getting the thing to produce enough heat! I will have to try adding a block-off plate and some insulation. Haven't been able to get it to really put out good heat despite the draft being fixed.