MB - methyl bromide

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fod01

Feeling the Heat
Nov 4, 2008
Long Island
Sorry - but need some warm-cuddly feelings here.

There's a shop by my office that routinely tosses out some beautiful 4"x4" lumber. Its all treated with methyl bromide (MB).
Burn it or not? I've read 'ok' on this forum, but also 'highly toxic NO!' on the web. I've got a couple weeks worth of the stuff I don't know what to do with. Some advice from my friends please.

Thanks,
Gabe

I don't burn treated wood. Period. Not in a stove, not outside. Rick

It's my understanding that non- pressure treated wood is still often treated/fumigated at some point in production. Methyl Bromide was phased out after 2005 except for some particular uses as a fumigant for pallets and specific apps.

I don't see how it's anywhere near worth it. Methyl Bromide is pretty toxic stuff. MSDS here: http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/ME/methyl_bromide.html
"Toxic. May be fatal by ingestion, inhalation or if absorbed through the skin. May cause CNS damage. May cause reproductive defects. Possible human carcinogen. Corrosive. Very destructive of mucous membranes."

It is supposed to dissipate quickly when used as a fumigant, but you have no way of knowing if there is any left in that wood. If there is, well, see above.
Use it outside to stack wood on, build a woodshed, fenceposts... (gloves & a dust mask to handle & cut).
Or tell them if they switch to heat-treating you'll dispose of all their waste wood for them & burn-away. Right now they're paying to have it disposed of.

BLIMP said:
bury or burn as per what temp?
Who knows what temp & who wants to try to properly incinerate chemicals in their home woodstove? I would burn if needed to keep from freezing to death. Otherwise why risk it?

There, that didn't take long did it?
My own fault for not researching the 'MB' before I started hauling the stuff home.
I'll keep some to replace my rotting pallets. The rest I'll try to bring back.

Thanks guys.

Fod01 said:
...I'll keep some to replace my rotting pallets. The rest I'll try to bring back.

Good call, IMO. Rick

methyl sounds like burnable hydrocarbon. bromide is related to bromine which is related to chlorine & used in pool treatments as a granule, ithinx= check wikipedia or ask a real chemistry forum.

sorry, but chemstry doesn't usually follow any sort of linear path where deduction alone gets you very far. For example...Sodium and Chlorine, separate bad (at least dangerous) together...tasty and convenient for melting ice.

Why would you? Plenty of good wood to rescue from rotting away in the woods.

Toxicological information
Acute toxicity:
- Rat oral LD50: liquid MBr in corn oil - 104 mg/kg microencapsulated MBr in corn oil - 133 mg/kg
- Rat inhalation LC50: 1175 mg/m³/8 hour
- Mouse inhalation LC50: 1540 mg/m³/2 hour
Effects of overexposure :
- Ocular Severe irritant: Contact with liquid or high concentrations of gas with the eyes may cause severe but usually reversible injury involving temporary blindness.
- Dermal Liquid splashed on clothing or leather or high gas concentrations held in contact with skin may cause skin burns with large blisters appearing after several hours. Less severe exposures may cause itching skin rash even after several days. May be absorbed through the skin in sufficient amount to cause systemic toxicity.
- Inhalation Acute poisoning from methyl bromide is characterized by marked irritation to the respiratory tract which may lead, in severe cases, to pulmonary edema. High concentrations may damage the liver, kidneys and central nervous system. Symptoms of poisoning include headache, dizziness, somnolence, vertigo, blurred vision, slurred speech, nausea and vomiting and possibly convulsions and coma. ONSET OF TOXIC SYMPTOMS MAY BE DELAYED FROM 30 MINUTES TO SEVERAL DAYS.
- Ingestion Severe irritant to mucous membranes and toxic poison if ingested, although ingestion is highly unlikely.

Chronic toxicity: Chronic exposure to low concentrations of methyl bromide may produce central nervous system effects. Signs include mental confusion, lethargy, inability to focus one's eye, incoordination and muscle weakness.
Repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis.
Mutagenicity: Mutagenic by the Ames Test MBr induced DNA damage in rat testis following inhalation exposure at 250 ppm (6 hours/day for 5 consecutive days). In vivo, MBr induced sister chromatid exchanges in bone marrow cells and micronuclei in peripheral erythrocytes of female mice exposed by inhalation for 14 days.
Carcinogenicity Studies conducted with MBr, exposing animals both by inhalation (rats & mice) and by oral route (fumigated feed, rats), showed that THERE WAS NO EVIDENCE OF CARCINOGENIC ACTIVITY. Not included in NTP 9th Report on Carcinogens. IARC Group 3 (animal inadequate evidence, human no data available).
Other: Single exposure vapour inhalation neurotoxicity study in rats:
---NOEL - 100 ppm
Acute oral toxicity (single dose) study in Beagle dogs:
---Lethal dose - 500 mg/kg
---No clinical signs were observed at 1 mg/kg

Delta-T said:
sorry, but chemstry doesn't usually follow any sort of linear path where deduction alone gets you very far. For example...Sodium and Chlorine, separate bad (at least dangerous) together...tasty and convenient for melting ice.
& good follow to magic black paint for heat dissipation!

& good follow to magic black paint for heat dissipation![/quote]

Personally, I wash my wood in formaldehyde, rinse it in methylene bromide, paint it black and then hang is on the line to dry.

But that's just me...

Fod01 said:

Don't worry, Fod01, there are some here who just like to babble on and on about nothing, long after the original question's been satisfactorily answered. If the babbling here lasts much longer, I'll just close the thread and be done with it. Rick

Late to the party . . . but I'll try not to babble . . . pressure treated wood doesn't get burned in the stove by me . . . not worth it to me when there's plenty of perfectly good (and safe) wood to burn. Your idea of using the wood for the stacks however is an excellent way to use this resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.