Measuring Regency Insert flue temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Auber unit runs on 12v. This could be powered by a small UPS style or similar battery.

If I pull the top cover plate of the insert ( covers gap between insert and fireplace opening) I could attach the screw probe or magnetic one to the flue pipe exiting the insert.

I was just wondering if there were any cheaper alternatives.

Some guys with Regencys put a magnetic flue thermometer on the corner of the stove, but I can't see how that would give you an accurate reading?

I've heard of a magnetic thermometer on the top of the insert, that it's hard to see through the air opening, but that you can tell where the pointer is.

Congrats on the I3100 btw.

I use a magnetic on the front just above the top left hand corner of the door. It's a little cooler there than the actual stove top, so we essentially adjust and turn down when that thermo hits about 500 iirc (not home right now). I checked the magnetic with an IR gun and it's close enuf to actual on the IR.

Thing about the Regency is the top is not in contact directly with te firebox - there's the air gap for the air to pass through that makes reading off the top very suspect. the front is part of the firebox and the temps there are reflective of the firebox temp, but just a bit lower.

I would think the probe in the liner would work, or the screw mount to one of the liner screws perhaps. I had a probe thermo on our Napoleon downstairs, and iirc there is a certain distance up the liner you need the probe (maybe I'm dreaming).

Get the AT100 if you don't need the external buzzer. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=279

Then buy your thermocouple: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=307

If you tell them it is for an AT100 they will switch out the connector before shipping.

Btw, I love mine, they work like a champ and you can buy thermocouples for other uses during the summer like for a smoker.

I do agree having to have power to it is a pain, but I hooked mine up to my UPS and configured the High and Lo alarms on it to go off if my insert hits a certain temp.

Thanks for the help!! The Auber will have to wait until after the holidays. But I like the accurate aspect of the reading, esp. when significant other are using the insert.

But I did buy a magnetic, and stuck it above the left hand corner of the door. I'm just wondering how close the temperatures here are to the actual flue temps?

As it seems you need to measure flu temps 14-18 inchs up the stove pipe. So I'm assuming I'm in the ballpark - temp. wise?

btw I like the 3100 so far - I'm just getting a feel on how it burns compared to my old school inefficient fanless hearth heater.

Aivars

I believe we let ours get to 550-600 ish on the magnetic on the front, maybe 500 -550, not sure, not home right now. It's one of the ones with the 3 zones, and we keep it just under the dreaded Red zone. IIRC in that zone it reads around 550 on my IR gun.

On the I3100, you know you're getting too hot when you can look into the top section (the gap between the actual firebox and the top plate and see anything starting to glow red. It happened to us once and I had the lights way down and I could see the faint red glow in the dark.

Never been able to measure our flue temps as the insert is a fairly tight fit in our opening and there's no way for me to get up the flue to install a probe.

When it's running good (and using good dry wood) the I3100 puts out massive amounts of heat - we love it.

Where are you typically run the air draft?

What type of wood are you burning, how dry?

I'm burning both seasoned and sort of seasoned maple. I have pine\spruce & poplar for the spring\fall burn.

With each re-load we let it get up to 550-600 and then turn all the way down (air fully closed). We're burning 2 yr old wood, mostly maple and oak. It's all been c/s/s for at least 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.