Merrimack - Heat Source for House?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

micaaronfl

Dec 5, 2010
pennsylvania
Hi everyone, hope im posting this under the right forum.

anyway i had a merrimack installed and i would like to use it as a heat source. I have a 2500 sq ft colonial style house in PA. I do not have an open floor plan, mainly hallways going to the living room, dining room etc... primary heat source is a electrci heat pump with a 1 1/2 horsepower house fan in the basement.

Basically im looking to bring the heat from the insert into other rooms, including the upstairs. I am looking for options that do not include fans being all over the house. I was thinking about maybe putting in the celing a few vents that lead to other rooms above the merrimack , and possibly adding these vent blowers, something like this http://www.atrendyhome.com/durebofan.html, into the bedrooms to draw the heat up and out of the family room where the merrimack is installed.

Looking for any ideas that do not involve tons of money, and that doesnt make the house look like a science project.

ok i read somewhere thinked linked to this site that transoms are a big blocker of heat to other rooms. As you can see by the pictures below their are transoms located at every exit from the family room where the merrimack is located. do removing these really make a big difference in getting the heat out of the room and into others? is it worth the work. If so i was also thinking about putting in vents like the one below- pic attached. as big as i can get them and hopefully with straight slats? any feedback on this as i dont want to go doing all the work and not getting anything back for it.

Attachments

• IMG00288-20110106-0828.jpg
    IMG00288-20110106-0828.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG00287-20110106-0828.jpg
    IMG00287-20110106-0828.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 189
Status
Not open for further replies.