Merry Christmas - What Hearth Related Gifts Did Y'all Git

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katwillny

Hey All,

Just wondering what hearth related gift members got or got for themselves? Buddy at work got me a pair of welders gloves since I mentioned getting burned a few times. Got a few boxes of starters from neighbors and wife got me a gift card to an online retailer that specializes in Hearths and Plows. %-P

I already had welding gloves for loading the stove but having the deep top loader that I do I still burnt my forearms a few times. My wife got me some welding gloves that go almost to my armpits!! So now no more burns!! Pat

log roller/stand and a fiskars x27 axe..i was a good boy

Wife got me a couple pairs of welders gloves and I got her a nice rug for in front of the fireplace.

A moisture meter and an IR thermo. Nice knowing what the stoves doing and my oak is at 16% moisture.

I got a pillow that looks like a log.

A lump of coal.

IR thermometer, and a weather station.

My fav gift is a pair of welders gloves that go up past my elbows.....no more arm burns!
As you can see I christened them...
They are a pretty shade of red... :cheese:

Attachments

• 2011-12-26_06-57-57_777.jpg
    2011-12-26_06-57-57_777.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 462
Ash can, cast iron kettle humidifier, and canvas wood tote bag (hopefully no more tripping down the stairs with arm loads of wood).

Hmmm.... hearth related gift items you say?

Didn't need gloves - had that.
Didn't need a poker - had that.
Didn't need a steamer - had that.
Didn't need fire starters - had that.
Didn't need an IR - had that.
Didn't need a moisture meter - had that.

Some people would say beer is a 'natural' hearth related accessory especially after cutting/splitting/stacking your own firewood - but I don't necessarily like beer.

I DID receive chocolate covered cherries and Bailey's Irish Creme filled chocolates - now these items I do consider hearth related. :)

Old Gloves had a hole in one of the fingers. My kids must have heard me yell "oucth" last week!

Attachments

• XMas 2011 New Gloves.jpg
    XMas 2011 New Gloves.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 417
Fiskars x25

I bought a Jotul 602 for my kitchen hearth for Christmas, just put it in a week before Christmas. Nice little stove.

Got a new Stormy Kromer derby! Not really a hearth item but I know when I start wearing it that's it time to burn.

got a inferred temp gun really cool if u dont have one get one now tons of fun.....

I got a rack of wood...

argus66 said:
got a inferred temp gun really cool if u dont have one get one now tons of fun.....
Ive been meaning to get one of those things, what make and model did you get?
can anyone recommend one, I also have a birthday coming very soon and the lovely wife needs ideas.

Katwill, most any of them are okay except I would not get one that read to only 600 degrees. I think Home Cheapo sells one like that. But even Harbor Freight has good ones. You might even like to know how hot your sidewalk gets next summer. It's an eye opener!

Backwoods Savage said:
Katwill, most any of them are okay except I would not get one that read to only 600 degrees. I think Home Cheapo sells one like that. But even Harbor Freight has good ones. You might even like to know how hot your sidewalk gets next summer. It's an eye opener!
Your Aces Dennis. Thank you very much. I almost asked for the one at home cheapo. LOL. now i know not to get that one. And yes, the sidewalk in NYC gets HOT.

German_Italian_meter.jpg

Mentioned I got this in the inglenook but I'll mention it here again

First thermometer I have liked by the looks for the stack other than the 3-19 probe.

I wouldn't put it on there but the wife's interpretation of the probe can be sketchy and often times the stove pipe will get up to temp much faster than the stove top and she'll overshoot turning things down.

After using some others this seems to be very responsive and works faster than I would have expected.

I was sick as a dog yesterday w/ stomach bug and napped all afternoon, evening, then night. Wife had stove duty. First thing she said to me this morning was "I like that thermometer" After having 5 different ones on the stoves over the years, this is the first one that has earned her approval.

Glad she's enjoying my Christmas present :lol:

pen

I got what's in my avatar. "It's so bad it's good!" Seriously though, that's how I spent Christmas day. Cutting down a big leaner in the front woods. Got about a half cord out of it! Css'd and waiting for next year's season.

I bought myself a pair of protective chaps, a nylon bag for carrying wood into the house, a new chain (Stihl yellow label) and my wife bought me a pair of gloves to replace the others with duct tape on the finger tips. I also ordered a Fiskars sharpener but it won't arrive until the end of the week. It's raining right now. I need to find some wood to see how the new chain performs. My other chains are all green label.

My 25 yr. old daughter asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I told her a large galvanized metal trash can with a cover.. She asked if I was serious and I told her yes to store my ashes outside as I spread the ashes if the driveway ices up for traction control for both walking and driving.. She complied and I now possess a 30 gallon galvanized metal trash can with a big red ribbon and bow :)

Ray

raybonz said:
My 25 yr. old daughter asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I told her a large galvanized metal trash can with a cover.. She asked if I was serious and I told her yes to store my ashes outside as I spread the ashes if the driveway ices up for traction control for both walking and driving.. She complied and I now possess a 30 gallon galvanized metal trash can with a big red ribbon and bow :)

Ray

Should have added . . . "and filled with my favorite beverage." I suppose an empty can is good too . . . but a filled can is even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.