Metal sticking out inside back of stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Windchill

Jan 6, 2021
Portland Maine
Hi
I have a Vermont castings winterwarm small wood insert 2080. I was replacing the refractory assembly and I notice there is a piece of metal sticking out from the back. Does anyone know what this could be for?

AD24CAF6-889C-4687-8D48-DF5F1B48EFAC.jpeg 933AF1AC-F8CF-4D1A-9AD0-A23C28AEA6C7.jpeg 2C0292C8-037A-4978-940B-B9EA4FBC7A2D.jpeg

Secondary air Probe. it is installed into refractory for accurate secondary air opening intervals.

It’s the secondary air probe. You will need to pull the insert, remove the probe. Install the new combustion box, drill a hole then reinstall a new probe. Depending on the age, you may need to remove the entire convection jacket to gain access to the probe...Or just drill a slightly oversized hole in the new combustion box and proceed with the install. ;)

There’s a bi-metallic coil on the back side that responds to the heat. It opens and closes on its own depending on the heat being produced.