Metal studs for building a chase through living space

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Erick, yes, metal studs would be better in my eyes. I'm a union carpenter who works with metal studs on a daily bases. I wouldn't skip the top and bottom plates (called track in metal framing.) If I understand correctly you can just notch the top and bottom track around the area in question with your metal snips. I know you said you need the back of the drywall to be right @ 2", but I would just leave 1/2 inch on the notched portion of the "track". Notching a moon shape in the top and bottom track. This would make them 1 1/2" away from the pipe which is not going to be a problem!

BTW, metal studs usually come in 1 5/8", 2 1/2" and 3 5/8". What you should use is 3 5/8 as the others tend to deflect more. You should not have a problem building this chase. Good luck!

You could also use cement board for sheathing for a truly non combustible assembly. Just mud the board for smoothness. Gotta use different materials than bucket mud though. I would get an electrician in for a looksee. Don't want the insurance company finding a reason to deny a claim.
Will

LLigetfa said:
I don't understand why you want to hang on the literal wording "CTC".

Because codes and manufacturer's installation specifications are literal, and I'm being a pain in the butt. Apologies We've both made our points, and folks--OP included--should use their own judgment.

Meanwhile, it looks like Chris is on-track. Good luck Eric!

VCBurner said:
Erick, yes, metal studs would be better in my eyes. I'm a union carpenter who works with metal studs on a daily bases. I wouldn't skip the top and bottom plates (called track in metal framing.) If I understand correctly you can just notch the top and bottom track around the area in question with your metal snips. I know you said you need the back of the drywall to be right @ 2", but I would just leave 1/2 inch on the notched portion of the "track". Notching a moon shape in the top and bottom track. This would make them 1 1/2" away from the pipe which is not going to be a problem!

BTW, metal studs usually come in 1 5/8", 2 1/2" and 3 5/8". What you should use is 3 5/8 as the others tend to deflect more. You should not have a problem building this chase. Good luck!

Thanks for your suggestions. I like the idea of notching the metal track keeping things as far as possible from the chimney, while also supporting the drywall at the top and bottom. I doubt the metal 1.5 inches from the chimney will be a problem. Especially since the chimney manufacturer seems to not think it so vitally important that non-combustibles are in the 2 inch clearance - shown by the ambiguity in the instructions. If it were critically important, it would be more clear. And if there is a problem, the inspector will catch it. In fact, I'll ask him when he comes, to be safe. If it's a problem, then I can notch the track more just leaving the vertical bit of metal. Thanks for your help everyone on this project.

VCBurner said:

Thanks for your suggestions. I like the idea of notching the metal track keeping things as far as possible from the chimney, while also supporting the drywall at the top and bottom. I doubt the metal 1.5 inches from the chimney will be a problem. Especially since the chimney manufacturer seems to not think it so vitally important that non-combustibles are in the 2 inch clearance - shown by the ambiguity in the instructions. If it were critically important, it would be more clear. And if there is a problem, the inspector will catch it. In fact, I'll ask him when he comes, to be safe. If it's a problem, then I can notch the track more just leaving the vertical bit of metal. Thanks for your help everyone on this project.

Status
Not open for further replies.