Metalbestos ceiling adapter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I have an 8" Metalbestos ceiling adapter that I need to connect the new stove to. I was told that I can only use Selkirk double wall to connect the stove to it? Is this right? Isn't the ceiling side of a ceiling adapter generic?

SolarAndWood said:
I have an 8" Metalbestos ceiling adapter that I need to connect the new stove to. I was told that I can only use Selkirk double wall to connect the stove to it? Is this right? Isn't the ceiling side of a ceiling adapter generic?

Who told you that? A Metalbestos vendor?
As long as you have the correct flue extension from your ceiling
support box, you can use any double-wall that fits.

I was trying to get a quote for Simpson. They wouldn't quote it because they said it wouldn't work. I understand the chimney side but I don't understand how the ceiling side can be incompatible.

DAKSY said:
SolarAndWood said:

Who told you that? A Metalbestos vendor?
As long as you have the correct flue extension from your ceiling
support box, you can use any double-wall that fits.

please dont spead incorrect info,

read a mb chimney manual, only mb pipe is approved.

that said. the mb dsa( dripless smoke adapter) parts will fit fine with duravent, but is technically not approved.

ps, i dont sell metal bestos

Hmmm...well sell Excel DW connector pipe to lotsa folks who have MB Class A chimney systems.
If it wasn't approved I'm sure our owner would put the kibosh on the sales...
But, I agree that one should always follow the manual - IF it's available...

DAKSY said:
Hmmm...well sell Excel DW connector pipe to lotsa folks who have MB Class A chimney systems.
If it wasn't approved I'm sure our owner would put the kibosh on the sales...
But, I agree that one should always follow the manual - IF it's available...

Same here DAK. We dont blatantly miss match pipe, but i have always sold what ever connector pipe to go on any existing chimney. If its a fresh install, its silly to mix them. So it the selkirk chimney not approved with single wall? Im not going to look it up.

I would have given the same advice here as Dak. Probably still will.

Thanks for the feedback, but I am still lost. What double wall pipe should I be using?

Attachments

• ceiling adapter.jpg
    ceiling adapter.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 358
One reason I'm going to want to use something besides MB DSP with my existing
MB Class A chimney ... the smallest offset I can get (using two 45-degree elbows)
is 6", whereas I need more like 4" - the latter is available with some of the other
brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.