Metalbestos - PCK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeb

Hearth Supporter
Oct 9, 2007
I began this install with a metalbestos support box (6T-SB) but didn't care for the looks of this box. I returned it and got the "Pitched ceiling support kit" (PCK) thinking that it would work better in my vaulted ceiling ("round" pipe exiting the ceiling instead of "square" box). My goal being, to have the black double wall pipe (DS) pass through the ceiling with an oval trim ring (cleaner look). But, after reading the instructions, I found that the PCK is actually intended for "A" frame applications, not a "scissor truss" vault (ie, attic application). The PCK consists of a "SS" section of pipe with attached mounting brackets that attach to the top of the roof (truss cords) and a "smoke pipe adapter" (DSAC). The DSAC is shown to be installed in the interior space of the building ("A" frame const.). This is where the pipe converts from "SS" to the black stove pipe (ie, the finished product would be "SS" changing to "black" in the interior space). Being that I have a vaulted ceiling, scissor truss's, I have an attic space to pass through. My question, can the DSAC be installed in the attic space? (so that only the black stove pipe passes through the ceiling, not the "SS"). Would this create a "condensation" problem, having the black stove pipe in the attic as apposed to the insulated "SS"? And if so, is there an "oval" trim plate that will fit the black stove pipe? (the one included in the "PCK" kit is intended to fit the "SS" pipe).

Mikebuild said:
I began this install with a metalbestos support box (6T-SB) but didn't care for the looks of this box. I returned it and got the "Pitched ceiling support kit" (PCK) thinking that it would work better in my vaulted ceiling ("round" pipe exiting the ceiling instead of "square" box). My goal being, to have the black double wall pipe (DS) pass through the ceiling with an oval trim ring (cleaner look). But, after reading the instructions, I found that the PCK is actually intended for "A" frame applications, not a "scissor truss" vault (ie, attic application). The PCK consists of a "SS" section of pipe with attached mounting brackets that attach to the top of the roof (truss cords) and a "smoke pipe adapter" (DSAC). The DSAC is shown to be installed in the interior space of the building ("A" frame const.). This is where the pipe converts from "SS" to the black stove pipe (ie, the finished product would be "SS" changing to "black" in the interior space). Being that I have a vaulted ceiling, scissor truss's, I have an attic space to pass through. My question, can the DSAC be installed in the attic space? (so that only the black stove pipe passes through the ceiling, not the "SS"). Would this create a "condensation" problem, having the black stove pipe in the attic as apposed to the insulated "SS"? And if so, is there an "oval" trim plate that will fit the black stove pipe? (the one included in the "PCK" kit is intended to fit the "SS" pipe).

NO. You MUST do the transition from the stove pipe to the Class A chimney in the same room where the stove is. You may not pass stovepipe through any sort of wall or ceiling. You need to either get a "transition box" to deal with the passage through the ceiling and enough additional Class A to reach it, or come up with a different solution for mounting the Class A.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.