metalbestos stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

islandfarmer

Apr 18, 2015
new york
i took a 6 inch metalbestos stove pipe off an exterior wall to put up inside, my house .will be going through two ceilings and a roof. the problem is that some sections have small holes rusted through, are heavier, and when turned over i can hear what ever is inside sliding down a few inches. is this pipe safe to use? should i throw it out ? how can stainless steel rust?

if it was mine i wouldn't use it, heavier sounds like it is wet and that sliding noise is the insulation in it moving, keep what you can use and replace the rest, peace of mind is priceless

Different grades of stainless, 300 series vs 400 series, 300 won't rust 400 will...
Sounds like the insulation has been compromised, I would toss it, especially for an indoor run.
If you keep some and toss the rest, just be aware that it is brand specific about mixing and matching parts, this goes for your ceiling support boxes and everything else, all needs to be same brand AND style.
I did two chimneys both with Selkirk pipe, one from local stove shop one from Lowes, two completely different animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.