Mice in pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I keep bringing this back up here and there but I recomend the PELLET FAIRY who is being held hostage at Macmans house! The other option may be the Pellet OAF to club the little critters but that would create to many fines and massive pellet spillage! Dude get a cat or put out mouse traps with peanut butter....... I have a cat who no %$#@ catches a mouse a day easy in the summer time. cuts down on the cat food bill as well but keep em wormed,

Attachments

• a7a354262fd0b924.jpeg
    a7a354262fd0b924.jpeg
    4.1 KB · Views: 307
  • ed18474301f0a6c0.jpeg
    ed18474301f0a6c0.jpeg
    2.8 KB · Views: 287
pelletizer said:
I know I keep bringing this back up here and there but I recomend the PELLET FAIRY who is being held hostage at Macmans house!.....

Hey! Hold on there pelletizer.....she's no hostage. She likes it here, and stays because I have a better stove than you guys have ;-P , and it keeps her warm during the day....(I take care of the night time heat ;-) . And all I ask in return is an endless supply of fines-free premium pellets......one wave of her hand, and presto.....the basement is full.

Nope, she's not going anywhere anytime soon. :cheese: unless she gets the pellets from Maine, then out she goes!

Maine pellets are bad? :grrr:

macman said:
pelletizer said:
I know I keep bringing this back up here and there but I recomend the PELLET FAIRY who is being held hostage at Macmans house!.....

Hey! Hold on there pelletizer.....she's no hostage. She likes it here, and stays because I have a better stove than you guys have ;-P , and it keeps her warm during the day....(I take care of the night time heat ;-) . And all I ask in return is an endless supply of fines-free premium pellets......one wave of her hand, and presto.....the basement is full.

Nope, she's not going anywhere anytime soon. :cheese: unless she gets the pellets from Maine, then out she goes!

I am hearing rumors of a "Pellet Fairy" rescue mission to Macmans with a "Pellet oaf" drop off as well.

pelletizer said:
macman said:
pelletizer said:

I am hearing rumors of a "Pellet Fairy" rescue mission to Macmans with a "Pellet oaf" drop off as well.

Don't even think about it Pelletizer :mad: .....and besides, the Oaf called the Fairy today, and says he's not going anywhere....he really likes you..... ;-P

Which particular Maine brand pellets have you used?

I haven't had any problems with mice in my pellets, they prefer the bags of horse feed, but I am having problems with lizards getting in the pellets and ending up in the hopper of my stove........alive. If you've never tried to catch a lizard in a house with loads of places for it to hide you just haven't really experienced fun! lol Even the cats give up after an hour or so. The longer the suckers stay inside and get warmed up the quicker they can move. I've got one at large now who's been inside for about 3 days. If anyone wants to stop by and help me on a lizard hunt I'll put on a pot of coffee. :p

Honestly, we DO always have a rodent problem at the barn and since I can't use poison around the horse feed the best method I've found is to simply set out a couple of 5 gallon buckets with a little food of some kind in the bottom. You can either use a piece of scrap lumber as a ramp to the top of the bucket or place the bucket right next to something that the mice can climb on. They'll get in to get at the bait and then can't get back out. What you do with them then is up to you. :cheese:

doghouse said:
Which particular Maine brand pellets have you used?

Those from Athens, Maine that claimed to be premium, but were borderline standard.

Search this forum for Athens review.

My stove should be able to handle standard, however it required a lot more effort than should be the case to keep things running properly.

So you understand matters my stove is a drop and burn and relies on air flow through the burn pot to keep the ash out of the way.

coolidge said:
A home made mouse trap? Take a empty gallon milk jug, fill it half full of water, stuff the handle of the jug with peanut butter. They will try climbing inside for the peanut butter, fall in and drown. Dispose of jug when frozen. I caught eight in one night in my garage(nesting in the motor compartment of the vehicles)

Just put my home made trap in the garage. Will check in am to see if any of the litlle creeps are out there. Had a nest in a window ac when I put it in last spring. Then when I used my gloves (which were on shelf in garage) this winter one was dead in one of the fingers. He was trying to steal the lining and must have suffacated. I hope if his friends are out there they go for a swim tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.